Views
Helpful
Replies

Mutiple configuration files

KAMAL MISHRA
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team.

i have one cisco 3560 switch and i want to store multiple config files in same switch.

share the steps how to do.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hu371
Level 1
Level 1

Just copy the startup config to a new file on the flash

copy startup-config flash:/somefilename

When you want to activate the new config:

copy flash:/somefilename running-config

View solution in original post

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

If you want to just manually keep different configuration files on the switch for testing, @harriuljas has got your answer, though I would activate the new configuration by using "copy flash:/somefilename startup-config" and rebooting instead. Copying a configuration directly into the running-config merges the old configuration with the new one, which may not be what you want.

If you want the switch to keep an archive of the last configuration changes, so that you can roll back when you're making changes, there's an even easier way to do that.

do mkdir flash:/startup-config
!
archive
 path flash:/startup-config/
 maximum 8
 write-memory

This will automatically save a copy of the configuration to the flash:/startup-config directory every time the "copy running-config startup-config" command (or its equivalents such as "wr" or "write memory") is issued and will keep up to eight previous configurations, making it very easy to roll back to one of the previous ones.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hu371
Level 1
Level 1

Just copy the startup config to a new file on the flash

copy startup-config flash:/somefilename

When you want to activate the new config:

copy flash:/somefilename running-config

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

If you want to just manually keep different configuration files on the switch for testing, @harriuljas has got your answer, though I would activate the new configuration by using "copy flash:/somefilename startup-config" and rebooting instead. Copying a configuration directly into the running-config merges the old configuration with the new one, which may not be what you want.

If you want the switch to keep an archive of the last configuration changes, so that you can roll back when you're making changes, there's an even easier way to do that.

do mkdir flash:/startup-config
!
archive
 path flash:/startup-config/
 maximum 8
 write-memory

This will automatically save a copy of the configuration to the flash:/startup-config directory every time the "copy running-config startup-config" command (or its equivalents such as "wr" or "write memory") is issued and will keep up to eight previous configurations, making it very easy to roll back to one of the previous ones.

KAMAL MISHRA
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Jody Lemoine

KAMAL MISHRA
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Harri Uljas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card