cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

N7K Remove Default Queue Error

alanjbrown
Level 1
Level 1

When I try and remove the default service-policy from the interface I get the following error message:

version: n7000-s1-dk9.4.2.4.bin

Module 8: N7K-M148GS-11

MYN7K01(config)# int eth8/47

MYN7K01(config-if)# no service-policy type queuing input default-in-policy

ERROR: Removal of default queuing policies prohibited.

To remove default queuing policy, simply add another queuing policy in same direction to this interface.

MYN7K01(config-if)# no service-policy type queuing output default-out-policy

ERROR: Removal of default queuing policies prohibited.

To remove default queuing policy, simply add another queuing policy in same direction to this interface.

Can anyone tell me what this error means and how do I get the service-policy off which I do have on other interfaces?

thks,

Al

8 Replies 8

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default, QoS on the N7K is turned on with default policy (trust DSCP/COS). If you don't like to have this default policy, you can create your own policy and apply it to the interface.

Bottom line is you cannot remove the default policy, you can overwrite it with your own.

HTH,

jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for your comments. I think I need to expand on the issue and where it has come from.

The physical interface has the default-in-policy and default-out-policy applied from the start. When you then add this interface to a port-channel the port-channel adopts the Qos setting from the interface and removes the Qos setting from the physical.

"When a port becomes part of a port channel, the port inherits the policy of the port channel. When the port is moved out of the port channel, the default system queuing policy gets activated on the port. "

So by creating a port-channel you can remove the QoS policy from the config on the interface thus overriding the error message above. I appreciate however that the interface is now subject to the QoS policy on the port-channel.

Now I believe what has happened is that somewhere along the line I have deleted/added the port-channel again and this has resulted in the QoS policy appearing under the port-channel and phyical interface. In  this state I don't believe the port-channel will form as all of my other configs only have the Qos policy on the port-channel.

So currently I think I only have one choice to resolve and that's to delete the port-channel and interface config and start again.

Al

Since that is the system default policy, the port-channel should form with the same rule that the port will inherits the QoS policy from the port-channel.

Please see the example from my lab N7K:

switch(config-if)# sh run int po 10 mem

!Command: show running-config interface port-channel10 membership
!Time: Tue Apr  5 18:17:24 2011

version 4.2(6)

interface port-channel10
  switchport
  service-policy type qos output TEST

interface Ethernet1/1
  switchport
  channel-group 10 mode active
  no shutdown

switch(config-if)# sh run int e1/2

!Command: show running-config interface Ethernet1/2
!Time: Tue Apr  5 18:17:31 2011

version 4.2(6)

interface Ethernet1/2
  switchport

switch(config-if)# int e1/2
switch(config-if)# no shut
switch(config-if)# channel-group 10 mo ac

switch(config-if)# sh run int po 10 mem

!Command: show running-config interface port-channel10 membership
!Time: Tue Apr  5 18:17:56 2011

version 4.2(6)

interface port-channel10
  switchport
  service-policy type qos output TEST

interface Ethernet1/1
  switchport
  no shutdown

interface Ethernet1/2
  switchport
  no shutdown

HTH,

jerry

Jerry,

You have a QoS policy on Po 10 but it doesn't appear on Eth1/1 or Eth1/2. They haven't inhertited the QoS policy which you configured. You do really need to look at the show run all outputs when comparing this.

I had another vPC to do yesterday and these were the outputs before:

MYN7K01# show run interface ethernet 8/16 all
  service-policy type queuing input default-in-policy
  service-policy type queuing output default-out-policy

And after:

MYN7K01# show run all | be channel82
interface port-channel82
  vpc 82
  service-policy type queuing input default-in-policy
  service-policy type queuing output default-out-policy

MYN7K01# show run int ethernet 8/16 all

channel-group 82 mode active

*There is no service-policy commands*

This works without issue and I've set this up lots of times however with the one I raised this discussion on it hasn't removed the service policy and so I wanted to try and remove it manually.

What version of NXOS are you running?

Regards,

jerry

Jeye,

Second line from start of comments:

n7000-s1-dk9.4.2.4.bin

Al

Hi Al,

Is Eth1/1 and Eth8/16 different on different type of linecard? Meaning one is 10GE and the other is 1GE?

Regards,

jerry

Jeye,

I have now resolved the orginal issue which was that the port-channel wasn't forming between the NXOS and IOS switch. The native vlan 999 which isn't used on any port wasn't created in the VLAN databse of the IOS switch. So even though the interface configs were all the same and the capabilities were all the same etc etc. The issue was the vlan hadn't been created.

One point however is that when you create the port-channel the service policy on the phyical interface doesn't change however once the port-channel becomes active the service policy is removed from the interface. This seems strange to me as you would think the config should be consistent across the port-channel and interface.

Thanks for your help,

Al

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card