Views
Helpful
Replies

Naming for SFP-based 1000BASE ports in SFP/SFP+ slots

aleksandra1776
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you please help me with the following issue.

We use Catalyst 3850-24XS with 1000BASE-LX SFP-GE-L SFP modules. I know that the SFP slots of Catalyst 3850-24XS support both: GE SFP modules and 10GE SFP+ modules. We use GE SFP modules, but we get names of the ports shown as “Te1/0/1”

NAME: "Te1/0/1", DESCR: "1000BaseLX SFP"

Is it a normal situation?

We are going to use some other Cisco devices. Could you please tell me, is there any general rule for naming of GE SFP-based ports in SFP/SFP+ slots? Would all GE SFP ports be named as Te if they are used in the slots that support both 10GE SFP+ and GE SFP?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, that is the correct behavior. All port description show as 10Gig but you can use a 1Gig SFP.

We are going to use some other Cisco devices. Could you please tell me, is there any general rule for naming of GE SFP-based ports in SFP/SFP+ slots? Would all GE SFP ports be named as Te if they are used in the slots that support both 10GE SFP+ and GE SFP?

There is really no general rules, but in most cases yes, if the devices supports 1 and 10, the ports show as 10 and accept 1Gig. To be sure, you have to look at each one case by case.

HTH

View solution in original post

Paul Chapman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

Port naming is generally about the capabilities of the interface and not the insert.  So an interface with capabilities of 100/1000/10000 is usually called Te.  A port with 10/100/1000 is usually called Gi.

The first notable exception is the C3KX-NM-10G.  This expansion module for 3560/3650/3750 switches has 2 Gig ports and 2 dual purpose ports.  Based on which SFP/SFP+ inserts are installed certain parts of the config (Gi or Te related to the module) are used or ignored.

The second exception we see is in certain media converters, most specifically the CVR-X2-SFP TwinGig converter.  The interfaces split out from the original 10G interface will show up in the configuration as Gi ports.

The third notable exception is Nexus switches which don't differentiate the speed of the interfaces.  Everything is simply "Ethernet".

PSC

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, that is the correct behavior. All port description show as 10Gig but you can use a 1Gig SFP.

There is really no general rules, but in most cases yes, if the devices supports 1 and 10, the ports show as 10 and accept 1Gig. To be sure, you have to look at each one case by case.

HTH

Paul Chapman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

Port naming is generally about the capabilities of the interface and not the insert.  So an interface with capabilities of 100/1000/10000 is usually called Te.  A port with 10/100/1000 is usually called Gi.

The first notable exception is the C3KX-NM-10G.  This expansion module for 3560/3650/3750 switches has 2 Gig ports and 2 dual purpose ports.  Based on which SFP/SFP+ inserts are installed certain parts of the config (Gi or Te related to the module) are used or ignored.

The second exception we see is in certain media converters, most specifically the CVR-X2-SFP TwinGig converter.  The interfaces split out from the original 10G interface will show up in the configuration as Gi ports.

The third notable exception is Nexus switches which don't differentiate the speed of the interfaces.  Everything is simply "Ethernet".

PSC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card