cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nat inside source to another inside source through public address

mvandeberg
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about communication from one host with an inside source static to another host with an inside source static through the public address. For example, I have a workstation with a 10.x.x address that has a public static of 199.190.x.x and I have a server that also has a 10.x.x address with a public static of 199.190.x.x. The problem is that I cannot communicate with netbios, or ODBC, using the servers public address. I know in this case that the traffic has to go "out" using the public, and then back in using the public addresses, in which case it times out communication. Internally everything is fine from the private address to the private address. Also the inside source static works fine as long as a machine that is on the outside communicats to an inside source also. So, in other words, the inside source is working fine all around, unless you want an inside machine to get to another inside machine using the public address.... I hope I havent confused anyone, and hopefully someone knows what Im talking about and has an answer, but im stumped. The router in question is a Cisco 2621 with a fairly recent IOS.

Thanks,

Mike

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This appears to be a case where NAT does not solve your communication problem. The most viable solution is to use a tunnel protocol (GRE, IPsec) to cross the public network and to route the two private networks via this tunnel, i.e. without the use ofNAT/PAT.

Regards,

Leo

jaregalado
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

Were you able to get this issue resolved ? Can you post the configs of both routers involved ?

Regards.

I didnt get the issue resolved, but found a work around that fits our needs. I really dont think that what I wanted to do is possible anyway, because if you look at the NAT translations, the static nats can only be the source OR destination connection, but not both at the same time. It looks to me that the router just wont let it happen, due to the operational design of the concept. If you think you are having a similar problem, I would be glad to at least tell you if my problem was similar to yours..

Thanks for the response.....

Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card