cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT issues

Deltaadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I recently just was thrown onto managing a smaller network in the building I live in. Currently, there is a Cisco 1700 series router that does nat, and a dhcp server that is plugged into one of the 3 switches, handing out internal ips and dns servers. I was hoping to switch this around, and put the dhcp box (linux) in between the network and the router for both more security and control. The only issue is that if the network side of the linux machine is performing dhcp, and the router does NAT, should I try to find a way to bridge the connections across the linux machine? or should I disable nat in the router and do it over the linux machine? if I do want to disable nat in the router, what is the command just to have it route external ips? Thanks so much for any help.

1 Reply 1

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

as u hve mentioned u can disable the NAT on ur routre and configure ur Linux box to take care of both DHCP and Natting.

For disabling the NAT and to hve ur requirements achieved u need to have a /30 block of public ip address if u dont hve already which will be configured in ur ethernet and in ur linux ext interface.

For removing the NAT configs do post ur current config which would be helpful to suggest accordingly..before tht keep ur linux box ready to take up the job ..

regds

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card