Helpful
Replies

NAT

morialpesh008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

can someone clear following thing,

if we have following scenario and my ISP give me IP prefix  10.0.0.4/30, this prefix has total four IP address which of two is reserved one for sun-network address and one for broadcast address,

now my question is if we have use all four address in my NAT pool then what happen? is my pool will used all four addresses or is it will use two addresses or will use only one?

Thanks

Alpesh

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alpesh

In the case where the ISP has given you a single subnet with mask of /30 you would not use a pool of addresses. You would use PAT where you translate addresses with the IP of the outbound interface overload.

You would use a pool of addresses in the situation where the ISP has assigned you two subnets, one for the transit network and another for address translation.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard sir,

As you said if will use PAT then IP address 10.0.0.5 is represent my local LAN mean it is my inside global address and address 10.0.0.6 will not used, am i right?

Thanks

Alpesh

Alpesh

Yes you are correct.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card