cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Native trunk vlan question

Davidc2478
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I researched this question but didn't find a simple explanation. Adding a wireless access point.

Example:

int gi1/1/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 100

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,200,300

The AP speaks over vlan 100 untagged, and has ssid's on vlan 200 and vlan 300 tagged

Why is it with this configuration I can ping the AP, but if I were to remove vlan 100 from allowed, I cannot? I thought by having vlan 100 as native trunk it would grant "access". No?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I just lab tested this, indeed you need to allow the native Vlan, otherwise no communication will occur. I think that is because the native Vlan (100 in your case) is actually carrying user traffic, (and you probably have switchports in access mode assigned to Vlan 100 ?)...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello
If your network is using vlan 100 to carry untagged traffic and then it is pruned from the trunk then connectivity to devices in vlan 100 won’t work, however if that vlan 100 is only being used to reference an unused untagged vlan then it isn’t required to be allowed over the trunk, just on the trunk between the two devices that directly connected.specifed are native

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

I just lab tested this, indeed you need to allow the native Vlan, otherwise no communication will occur. I think that is because the native Vlan (100 in your case) is actually carrying user traffic, (and you probably have switchports in access mode assigned to Vlan 100 ?)...

Davidc2478
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate the info. I come from a Extreme Networks world, so I'm trying to get used to the extra details required when configuring Cisco switches. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card