cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Native vlan question

bsciarra1
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning, question about a native vlan.

I set up a trunk with two vlans I created - vlan 100 and vlan 10.  vlan 1 is shut down.  I was reading about dot1q native vlan being the vlan where untagged frames are sent.  My question is is vlan 1 always the native vlan?  Is dot1q going to choose 10 or 100 to be my native vlan or do I have to specify which is my native vlan?  If left unspecified, which one is my native vlan?  Can I make both vlans tag traffic?

The switch is a 2960

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There is only one native vlan on a switch and by default it is vlan 1. you can change it indeed on a trunk port with the command

switchport trunk native vlan  ( but don't forget it must be the same on both ends of the trunk)

If you don't change it then  it will be vlan 1 and both your vlans 10 and 100 will be tagged when going over a trunk link.

Rregards.

alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There is only one native vlan on a switch and by default it is vlan 1. you can change it indeed on a trunk port with the command

switchport trunk native vlan  ( but don't forget it must be the same on both ends of the trunk)

If you don't change it then  it will be vlan 1 and both your vlans 10 and 100 will be tagged when going over a trunk link.

Rregards.

alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thank you that's the answer I was hoping for

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card