Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advise about 2960XR PSU fan noise / PSU PWR-C2-640WAC

Elrick Landon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

I have fan noise with my 2960XR (WS-C2960XR-48LPD-I), it come from his PSU (PWR-C2-640WAC).

I try to make a video to ear noise, could you tell me if you have the same noise on your side ?

I make a video here : 

Picture of the fan inside :

Fan 2960XR PSU.jpg

I have a 2960 (WS-C2960X-24TD-L) with blowerfan, when it run, i don't hear it.

I was interesting to replace it by my 2960XR but not in this condition.

If this noise is "normal", do you know a good Cisco Switch more powerfull than 2960X ?

Many thanks for your help.

Best Regards.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Every switch is different when it comes to the amount of noise they make. So, this noise seems normal to me.

If this noise is "normal", do you know a good Cisco Switch more powerfull than 2960X ?

Not sure what you mean by "good Cisco Switch more powerful". Cisco has a lot of different switches, there is 2960X, 3850s, 3650s and now the newer model is the 9200 and 9300 series,

here is the datasheet for the 9300 series:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/nb-06-cat9300-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

HTH

Elrick Landon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

To give more context, I need an additional switch in an office.

The fan noise problem I'm talking about is related to the type of fan and switch, the 2960XR uses modular power supplies.
I'll have less problems and less noise with a 2960X (because it use blower fan type).

Since the 3850s are also composed of modular power supplies of the same type, this will not change anything.
I know the 9300 because I have a C9300-48P-E, they are very good but they are equipped with 3 fans, I use it in dedicated basement areas.

I don't know the 3650 and 9200 but if it uses modular power supplies, that's to be avoided as well.

The possibilities I see :

1. Replacing the 2960XR power supply fan without questioning its role because it could be risky to replace it by an inappropriate fan.
The concern is that no one seems to know that it would be the references to take to replace the latter.
It is the simplest and most economical solution.

2. Find a 2960X (not XR) that might fit the bill.

3. Find another switch that would have a very good throuhgput with a competing brand/model SFP+ interface.
If you have a good reference, I'll take it.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

If this is for an office and not for a LAN closet, you may want to look at fanless switches. See table-1 in this link for some options:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-l-series-switches/nb-06-cat2960-l-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

HTH

Very interesting, I didn't know the 2960L.

What is the difference between a C2960L-48TQ and a C2960L-48TQ-LL, it is not very clear

It appears that the only 48 port that is fanless is WS-C2960L-48TQ-LL.

All the other 48 ports are not.

HTH

I see but on same line, you have C2960L-48TQ and C2960L-48TQ-LL

Do you know what is LL version ? Lan Lite ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card