Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help controlling Multicast Packets

sean.graham
Level 1
Level 1

Situation is this:

An engineer has one switchport connected to a 2960. Connected to that port is a unmanaged switch. On that unmanaged switch he has 3 devices. His computer, and two other specialized network devices. One of these devices when connected floods the network with multicast packets at about 100 packets per second. The multicast packet dosn't need to get out onto the company network.

How do I block or filter the packet from entering the switch and flooding the company lan? It seems there are ways of blocking from exiting the port, but not entering the switch. I tried storm-control multicast level 1, but that didn't work.

I'm thinking IGMP snooping may help, but I'm unsure of how to configure it. What about a port level ACL?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try to use a port acl to block the multicast destination that they're going to. Apply it inbound on the port.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try to use a port acl to block the multicast destination that they're going to. Apply it inbound on the port.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Ok, I was just over thinking it. Using an ACL on the port was simple enough to do what I wanted. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card