Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help in InterVlan routing in 2960S

pushkar.mahakal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 C2960S-24TD-L switches. They are all stacked together.

I have created 2 VLans (Vlan1 - 172.16.0.0 & Vlan20 - 192.168.15.0) I have setup of 50 machines. 25 machines are in first VLan & 25 are in second VLan.

Machines in Vlan20 need to access machines in Vlan 1.

I want to do routing from 172.16.0.0 to 192.168.15.0.

I have enabled routing on my switch. In "ip route" command which parameters should I give.

Thanks

Pushkar

7 Replies 7

d.bigerstaff
Level 1
Level 1

I thought 2960s were layer 2 only and that you would need a router or a layer 3 switch to route between the VLANs.

Hi,

are you using the lanbase-routing SDM template?

Catalyst 2960 and 2960-S Switches Software Configuration Guide: Configuring SDM Templates

As far as I understand it, this is required in order to enable IP routing on a c2960-S.

(Note that a reboot is required after changing the SDM template.)

HTH

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Steps I have done-

1. Enabled lanbase-routing & reloaded the switch.

2. Enabled ip routing

3. Created 2 VLan's & assigned ip's to them.

Result -

From VLan1, I can ping machine in Vlan2. But cannot access the share folders in windows & MAC.

Scenario-

Setup is a video production house. We have Windows & Mac machines for video editing. The Mac machines are located in Vlan2. The windows machines are located in Vlan1. The mac machines need to access the Vlan1 machines for images, scripts, etc.

I tried to access the machines with ip also. But still no success.

Thanks

Pushkar

Hi Pushkar,

if I understand correctly, you now have basic IP-connectivity (ping) between the devices in VLAN 1 and VLAN 2, right?

If you don't have configured access control lists or something like that I don't think that the fileshare problems are related to the switch. Maybe personal firewalls or security setting on the clients deny those connections?

HTH

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Now I can only connect PC's in Vlan1 & Vlan2. They are located physically on the  switches which are stacked together. But PC's in Vlan2 cannot connect the PC's which are on a switch which is connected through SFP+

Is there any way to connect the PCs in Vlan2 to the another switch which is connected with SFP+ in other Vlan.

Thank

Pushkar

Abdullah Net
Level 1
Level 1

Pushkar,

Layer2 switches do not do routing between vlans.

You need a layer3 switch or a router and you need to configure that router to be a "router on a stick"

Regards,

That's correct but the c2960-S can support limited static routing (no routing protocols).

Link: Cisco Catalyst 2960-S/2960-SF Series Switches At-A-Glance

"LAN Base Software comes with advanced Layer 2 (L2) features, FlexStack stacking, static routing, and PoE+ and is typically targeted at large enterprise deployments"

From the configuration guide:

"The switch supports 16 static routes (including user-configured routes and the default route) and any directly connected routes and default routes for the management interface. The switch can have an IP address assigned to each SVI. Before enabling routing, enter the sdm prefer lanbase-routing global configuration command and reload the switch."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card