Views
Helpful
Replies

need help put cisco 3560 in same Lan of my router

nimoinau
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i need some help to configure my cisco 3560g-24ts with my network.

here is the description of my network which works well but not as i want.

Annotation 2020-02-08 135051.png

i have created vlans on my switch and enabled inter-vlan routing. each VM from my server can access others VM and internet and wifi network (ping OK).

my problem is that one VM which is Jeedom (home automation) needs to interact with wifi objects that are in my network in 10.0.0.0/24.

Also jeedom can ping them, as it is not in the same network, it causes problems and the interaction does not work.

So is there any solution to have the same lan network (10.0.0.0/24) on the machines that are connected on my switch.

Thanks for your replies.

9 Replies 9

Hello,

here is what you can do: on the switch, create a Vlan interface. Any interface will do, give it an IP address from the same IP address space as the wifi, e.g.:))

interface Vlan 20

ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0)

Then, connect the Jeedom machine to a port on the switch, assign the port to Vlan 20, and give the machine an IP address from the same address space as the wifi network as well,e.g. 10.0.0.4.

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 20

spanning-tree portfast

Now here comes the important part. If your wifi clients need to reach the Jeedom machine, on your router, you need a static host route:

ip route 10.0.0.4 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.2

and on the switch, you need static host routes to all the wifi machines the Jeedom machines need to reach, e.g.:

ip route 10.0.0.10 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.1

The principle at work here is that the most specific route is always the preferred route. This way, you can have connectivity between devices within the same address space which are separated by layer 3 devices.

Does that make sense ? Give it a try...

when i create a vlan 100 (example), i get an error

10.0.0.0 overlaps with GigabitEthernet 0/1

Gi0/1 is my interface in no switchport (link between switch and router)

Should i delete it ?

Hello,

the link between the switch and the router needs to be a different subnet than any other subnet you have configured. Just use 10.1.1.0/30, which means 10.1.1.1 on one side (the router) and 10.1.1.2 on the other (switchport) side...

@Georg Pauwen wrote:

Hello,

Just use 10.1.1.0/30, which means 10.1.1.1 on one side (the router) and 10.1.1.2 on the other (switchport) side...

euh, if i choose 10.1.1.1 for ip lan address for my router, i can't have a wifi network in 10.0.0.0/24. automatically it is 10.1.1.0/24.

10.1.1.0/30 is supposed to be the subnet used for the link between the router and the layer 3 switch...

If you have trouble with the configuration, post the running configs of both devices here...

i think i have forgotten to say that my router is an asus router and that the wifi network is delivered by the asus.

What model is the ASUS router ?

it is a RT-AC68U.

i can change the ip lan address of my router but it changes automatically the network of the wifi.

when i bought this switch, i did not know it was a layer 3 switch. is it not possible to use it as a simple layer 2 ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card