Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help using RIP connecting two networks with two routers in Packet Tracer

michaelrjonas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello and thanks for reading if you can,

I am working on an assignment that requires two groups of hosts to be connected across two routers using RIP and not static routing.

The simulation is in packet tracer.

L5hwmap.jpg

I used RIP with all directly connected networks on both routers. At one point, I can ping from the wirelessly connected laptops to the desktop PCs, but not the other way around. I know I could fix this easily with static routing but the assignment is to use RIP only.

Can somebody help explain to me how I would route these two networks using RIP only?

I am a newbie at this working on my CCENT so any help greatly appreciated!

Mike

18 Replies 18

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mike,

Since you must use RIP as a requirement, are there RIP routing capabilities on the linksys wireless router?

http://ui.linksys.com/files/WAG200G/1.00.09/help/h_AdvRouting.htm

Maybe go to 'advanced routing' and see if you can enable RIP between the Linksys and R1.

Enabling this on the Linksys would advertise out the 192.168.0.0 network to the other routers if you configure this.

I cant get the advanced routing tab to work on mine for some reason.

Hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thanks for the response, Bilal,

I'm not able to get to the advanced routing tab either. I've tried to isolate the problem in a more simple layout

I am able to ping from laptop to desktop. I cannot ping from desktop to laptop however. Is the issue most likely with router 1 or the switch?

Thanks again,

Mike

The problem is the routers. On router 1, you do not have a route in the routing table. It receives a packet from PC and says, this packet needs to get to 192.168.x.x, but I haven't got it in my routing table, I don't know what to do with it. So then the packet gets dropped.

We need to somehow advertise out the 192.168.x.x network to the routers, that way they will know how to get there. At the moment they don't.

You are able to ping from laptop to desktop because the linksys has a default route to Router 2 (I assume).

So the linksys says, if i dont know about a network, I'll send it to router 2. Then router 2 knows how to get to the desktop because it has a route

I hope this makes sense?

Are you able to share this file please?

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

That makes perfect sense. I wanted to attach the file too but I don't have anywhere to upload it to.

When I go to either router and attempt to advertise the 192.168.x.x network,

I use the same RIP commands I used to create the connection across the two routers. But see no difference in routing table after doing it with 192.168.x.x

Hi Michael, having the network 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 wont work because the router does not know about it itself.

One thing comes to mind though!! Are we able to change the DHCP on the linksys router? Is that allowed in this scenario?

Because the DHCP scope on the linksys could look like this:

Now this would work because the routers know how to get to 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 and the dhcp scope i've configured in the picture above falls within that range.

The laptops will need to get the new 172.16.50.X addresses for it to work.

Or it might be a case that you need to change the DHCP to 172.16.0.50 onwards...

Then the routers will know how to get there since that 172.16.0.0 route is there...

Let me know if this works.

The assignment specifies I cannot change those settings:

Configure the Linksys router for DHCP on the Internet port.

Leave the LAN DHCP with the default settings.

Configure the Laptops to work over the wireless.

Are you able to share the assignment/requirements please I've lab'ed this up now and am in the same position as you.

Thank you.

This is the true setup, what I was using was to simplify and try to find the problem.

Guys,

As you are not able to access the advanced
routing setup in the linksys I am sure
you would be excused if you used an alternative
solution.

Make sure tat the linksys has a default gateway set
on its "internet set up" (IE //next hop)

You now need to advertise in rip the networks on linksys
from the nearest 1841.

!
ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.0.2 name TO-LINKSYS
!
router rip
redistribute static subnets
!

Now if you look at the routing table in the furthest away router

show ip route

You should see the 192.168.0.0 network being learned
via RIP.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Alex,

This would work in theory - however, the assignment stated that they wanted to move away from static routing. I think this assignment may be flawed, in that there is no way to advertise the 192.168.0.0 without work around's.

The advanced routing tab on the linksys router is greyed out with no functionality. All other configurations are correct.
two groups of hosts to be connected across two routers using RIP and not static routing.

Thanks a lot for looking at it anyway, Bilal. It may turn out that you are correct. I have gone through it multiple times now and cannot figure my error.

Appreciate your help again,

Michael

Hello Michael,

From the laptop I can ping everywhere like you, however, I can't ping the wireless router or anything past that from R1 (which is the closest).

Is this the same for you?

This means that the wireless router is not participating in processing any packets towards itself. So I think the task is complete.

Please rate helpful posts and mark answers to questions as correct. Thank you!

Hi,

there is a firewall in the linksys that prohibits such things on the outside interface ( and that is where r1 is located), if you can ping from the wireless client to outside devices then it means routing is ok. I don't think you can disable the firewall( it is greyed out) but maybe doing port-forwarding or setting the wireless client in a DMZ zone could make the communication from outside to the client work.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card