Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with basic Router RIP/Static route PT problem

michaelrjonas
Level 1
Level 1

helppkt.jpg

Basically, I am unable to configure the Customer Router to forward packets towards the other two routers (and the 10.0.0.0, 172.20.0.0 networks). I must do this using RIP.  I am able to ping between PC2 and the Laptop. Any help much appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

on ISP router:

no ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/1

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 172.20.0.1

router rip

default-information originate

on Company C router:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.20.0.2

Also on all routers disable auto-summary for RIP as it should done as a best practice.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

on ISP router:

no ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/1

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 172.20.0.1

router rip

default-information originate

on Company C router:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.20.0.2

Also on all routers disable auto-summary for RIP as it should done as a best practice.

Regards

Alain

Thanks for the fast reply. I was able to quickly fix the problem.

I am trying to understand what I was doing wrong in preparation for exams.

On ISP Router:

I should have used the specific IP instead of the actual interface (fa0/1) on ISP Router?

On Company C Router:

As for the Company C static route - when it is one way traffic leaving the router to other networks, you should not specificy IPs?

Thanks again for your help Alain!

Hi,

Michael Jonas a écrit:

Thanks for the fast reply. I was able to quickly fix the problem.

I am trying to understand what I was doing wrong in preparation for exams.

On ISP Router:

I should have used the specific IP instead of the actual interface (fa0/1) on ISP Router?

On Company C Router:

As for the Company C static route - when it is one way traffic leaving the router to other networks, you should not specificy IPs?

Thanks again for your help Alain!

1° you should specify an outgoing interface in a static route only if this interface is point-to-point, when it is multipoint you should specify the next-hop or both but not the outgoing interface only.

2° ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 is a default static route encompassing all destinations , you don't need to specify specific routes because there is only one way out from the LAN( this is a stub router).

Regards

Alain

Dear experts, It would be very greatful if you  help me  with this exercise. Algorithm  of this exercises seems to me so difficult i don't how to start configure, it's enought if the percentage of exercise reaches 50% thank you for feedback. Here is the link of exercise https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Q3v1EwwP6SW3q2aNTqdwW1JWM8Ql8e4/view?usp=sharing

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card