cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need HELP with WS-X45-SUP8-E IOS image and/or rommon image

PK99
Level 1
Level 1

We have in our lab 4 4507R+ CHASSIS, each with SUP8-E.  All SUP8's had images on them.  However one of the units, a tech formatted the flash either by accident or sheer stupidity.  Our other SUP8's are all running cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.06.00.E.152-2.E.bin

The SUP8 that got formatted, we tried to copy the cat4500es8-universal.SPA.03.06.00.E.152-2.E.bin image onto USB and just load it but we are running into issues.  My suspicion is that the rommon is too old as it is running 

After doing some research, the SUP has Rommon  15.1(1r)SG1 and it appears that it needs a minimum of  15.1(1r)SG5 in order to take any images with SPA.03.06.00 or higher.  

I know that SPA.03.05.XX and older has been deferred so there would be no way of getting it.  

We don't have a service contract for the 4500s so we have no way of downloading rommon image 15.1(1r)SG5 or higher.

Is there any workaround or any way to over come this?

4 Replies 4

Thanks but that's where I got the info that I probably need to upgrade the rommon which we have no access to get rommon upgrade file version15.1(1r)SG5 or higher

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Read this:  Cisco IOS XE Software for Cisco 5760 WLC, Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor Engine 8-E, and Cisco NGWC 3850 GUI Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Scroll down to the Customers Without Service Contracts section and it states: 

Customers who purchase directly from Cisco but do not hold a Cisco service contract and customers who make purchases through third-party vendors but are unsuccessful in obtaining fixed software through their point of sale should obtain upgrades by contacting the Cisco TAC.

Customers should have the product serial number available and be prepared to provide the URL of this advisory as evidence of entitlement to a free upgrade.

IMPORTANT:  Do not delay any further.  Someone has been progressively removing this provision from past Security Bulletins.  

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you try other switches to see if the have the ROMMON file on them and probably copy from them?

Also what Leo suggested you can do that too.

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: