Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design Disconnect

shaun.nilsen1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community, and need some advice.  I have been looking network types and understand them as they are presented in the displayed context, but am having trouble visualizing the 3 tier model and how they would look incorporated into a floor plan.  Particularly if the network has multiple buildings. I will attach a picture of the 3 tiers, but my questions are 1) would the spacing between devices in the distribution layer be the separate buildings? 2) If there are 3 buildings would the core physically reside in the data center?  If I am totally of base here can anyone steer me towards some specific literature, or even better, visuals?  

Respectfully,

Shaun 

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The core is usually in the datacentre(s).  The distribution layer may exist in each building, or in the core as well.  The access layer goes near the user, usually on each floor.

Would this picture then conceptualize my 3 buildings with R2, R3, and R4 representing my different buildings?

Normally R2, R3 and R4 would connect directly back to the core/distribution layer.  They may also have links between each other.

There are multiple correct answers, and this is one of them.

Thank you all for your responses, and I think I have a better understanding now. 

You usually have a pair of distribution switches per building.

One of the buildings would then also house the core switches as well and the distribution switches are generally connected via L3 links to the core switches.

Note the above applies if the buildings are in a campus LAN type environment.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card