cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design Issues.

thaar_altaiey
Level 1
Level 1

I am on the way to buy an entriprise network to my org. I would like to know what are the basic issues that should be checked when buying cisco switches. (ex. Type of OS (CatOS/IOS), license types, the addressing table size (as i heared there is a difference between what is written on datasheets and the real value ....etc).

any openion is appreciated.

thaar al_atiey

10 Replies 10

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

The basic thing that i will look for is the hardware options of the switch, its modules, backplane, OS , etc.. In case it is a layer 3 switch,i would think of advanced qos mechanisms and other features.. and the most important thing .. cost.. dont worry much about licenses with respect to the switches.. address tables values are practically not countable.. theoritical values can be accepted on most of the cases...

Do let us know if you need any more info !!

Ok. I think its important to look also for some parameters such as no of VLANs, broadcaststorm threshold and the license is important for upgarding the switches software.

What i want to buy are the following:

1. Cat6506 (sup II 720,cashe,PIX,IDS, two L3 switch modules gigabit/10gigabit, router module).

2. cat4503 switches. (Intelligent switch gigabit/10gigabit)

3. cat 3755 sitches.(Intelligent switch gigabit/10gigabit)

4. cat 2950 switches.(Intelligent switch gigabit/10gigabit)

can you tell me about the best OS for these switches and their estimated prices.

thanks

thaar al_taiey

Oil Ministry

Normally these switches are shipped with default OS. this must be sufficient enough for doing most of the features in that switch. If you want additional features, just login to the software advisor and give all your requirements. it will advice you with the best OS.

As far as the prices are concerned, contact your nearest Cisco partner. They will give you the exact price for these components.

hi,

I have another 2 questions:

1. what is the suitable B/W that should be reached to each uses. I have 3Mbps total internet bandwidth VSAT connectivity, it should be support 1000 users, can you tell me if this b/w is suffiecient, and how we can calculate the B/W per user.

2.do you have any practical comparison between Cisco switches and hp switches.

best regards

thaar

it all depends on the applications that the user is accessing. normally, for http based applications (browsing), this should be sufficient. but if they use real time applications, we need to see how much that application consumes per user. for eg citrix takes something like 50 Kbps.

for 2nd question, search on the internet and download the specifications for both the switches and compare.

All the best !!

v. thanks for your reply.

sorry, i have another question. I show several designs and even from CISCO that puts the content engine after the firewall, but i worked on a network with 3000 users (2Mbps Bandwidth) the puts the cashe before the PIX and after the router and provide better performance to end user. WHich design is the best according to your information?

thanks

If thsi is your first network design, it is important that you identify what your requirements are first. Trying to determine whose switches to use based on popular opinion is fruitless. Your layout, # of ports, WWW or other things should mandate what and who's equipment you buy. If a 3com Hub will take care of what you need, why buy a L-3 6509 for $150,000. Take your time to thoroughly define your requirements before you even consider looking at a specific vendor. Try to determine if the vendor's goals and product offerings are what you are looking for.

If thsi is your first network design, it is important that you identify what your requirements are first. Trying to determine whose switches to use based on popular opinion is fruitless. Your layout, # of ports, WWW or other things should mandate what and who's equipment you buy. If a 3com Hub will take care of what you need, why buy a L-3 6509 for $150,000. Take your time to thoroughly define your requirements before you even consider looking at a specific vendor. Try to determine if the vendor's goals and product offerings are what you are looking for.

bigbhai
Level 1
Level 1

before buying anything you should know wht is your design of your entierprise network and what is the future expansion you are going to have then you can decide about your hardware, for example if you are going to install voip on that useing cisco phone then you can always go with in line switch modules and so on..etc..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card