Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design Question

DamianRC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

This is a simplified drawing of what management would like to do. I have reservations simply due to the amount of required wiring.

I'd like your opinions.

Thank you

2 Replies 2

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The two Nexus running in a vPC configuration with the access switch uplinks being configured as a port-channel is pretty common. The only thing that appears off to me is having the Nexus in the IDFs and the access switches in the MDF.

Generally, the aggregation/distribution switches are in the MDF and all access switches cable to there.

This configuration does require additional fiber being ran , but if there is a valid reason for this configuration, then that would be the way to go (to me anyway).

Hope this helps

Chrihussey,

It's awesome that you replied. Thank you.

The justification management gave in support of this design had to do with maintaining service to at least half of the environment in the event of power issues in the MDF.

Turns out the same level of power redundancy(minus the excessive wiring) is achievable by strategically installing gear in opposite cabinets, which run on different circuits.

The topology will now take the form of what I'm more comfortable with and what you described.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card