Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design

We have a network of of about 150 users but only one subnet. We are currently using Netgear switches. We have 2 core switches. Both the servers and the L2 switches connect to these core swiches. All workstations and printers connect to the edge switches.

We would like to replace these switches with Cisco Catalyst switches.

Can someone help answer these question:

What Cisco switches would you recommend?

How many Vlans should i create?

I assume all the edge switches connect to the core but is it a good practice to create Vlans on the edge switches with routing on these edge switches?

Or should i purchase Layer 2 edge switches and and just do routing at the Core?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

hi lake ,

As i have suggested 4506 for connecting your work station and printer , By default it has L3 function , Rest of all operation functionalities depends upon supervisor model which you are buying .

If you want layer 2 switch you can go for 2960 48 ports with 3 - 4 nos .

HTH Regards Santhosh Saravanan

View solution in original post

Hi Lake ,

Though your core switch has got multiple VLAN like ( server vlan & Enduser ,printer vlan ) ,it requires inter-vlan routing on core switches . As we have got only one common vlan on edge switch we would nt require inter-vlan routing . If u want also u have it but its does not support any function though ur gateway IP address is configured on core-switch.

HTH

Thanks

San

Hi Lake,

For the L2 switches, you can get 2950S stackable switches for all your access ports (users, printers ) etc. Access switches are purely to plug the devices into and do some basic functionality.

For your layer 3 core switches you can get 3750G series and implement HSRP etc.

Perform the Routing on the 3750.inter vlan routing with come ACL's if you wish.

Number of vlans: Well its up to you. depends on how many you want to seggregate.For eg if you have a  /12 range and want 4 equal subnets then you can VLSM them into 4 /14's etc..Just an example and allocate each subnet to a vlan

HTH

Regards

Please rate if helpful

8 Replies 8

sansarav720e
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lakeram ,

For 2 core switch u go can for cisco 3750 series which has stacking functionality or with 3650 ,

For user access segment u can adopt  1' no 4500 series with 5 slot therbey can reserver 2 slot for future purpose  or 2 'no 3560 96 with ports

Better server access u can adopt 3560 with Gigabit interface ,which can support many functionalities , else if u want like server  access switch connecting to your core switch u can go for 2960 with Gigabit interface .( Determine ur traffic load before adopting 2960 ).

For GW redudancy u can use HSRP on your core switches

HTH

Thanks

San

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Should i use Layer 2 or Layer 3 as the edge?

Thanks,

Lake

hi lake ,

As i have suggested 4506 for connecting your work station and printer , By default it has L3 function , Rest of all operation functionalities depends upon supervisor model which you are buying .

If you want layer 2 switch you can go for 2960 48 ports with 3 - 4 nos .

Should i configure inter vlan routing on the Core switch alone or should i configure it on the edge switch as well?

Thanks,

Lake

Hi Lake ,

Though your core switch has got multiple VLAN like ( server vlan & Enduser ,printer vlan ) ,it requires inter-vlan routing on core switches . As we have got only one common vlan on edge switch we would nt require inter-vlan routing . If u want also u have it but its does not support any function though ur gateway IP address is configured on core-switch.

HTH

Thanks

San

Thank you very much.

But let's say i have an edge switch that has 12 devices from vlan 2 and the other 12 devices from vlan 3 on that same switch, should i still configure inter vlan routing on the Core switch or should i get a layer 3 switch and configure inter vlan locally on that layer 3 edge switch?

Thanks,

Lake

Hi Lake,

For the L2 switches, you can get 2950S stackable switches for all your access ports (users, printers ) etc. Access switches are purely to plug the devices into and do some basic functionality.

For your layer 3 core switches you can get 3750G series and implement HSRP etc.

Perform the Routing on the 3750.inter vlan routing with come ACL's if you wish.

Number of vlans: Well its up to you. depends on how many you want to seggregate.For eg if you have a  /12 range and want 4 equal subnets then you can VLSM them into 4 /14's etc..Just an example and allocate each subnet to a vlan

HTH

Regards

Please rate if helpful

That was excellent.

Thank you very much

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card