Views
Helpful
Replies

network design

alex goshtaei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

we have 4900M in distribution later and 6509 in the core layer. there are two Tengig interfaces connect these two together in layer 3 and run EIGRP. should I create L3 port channel or use individual link in L3? what's the pros and cons in both methods?

very appreciate if you have any suggetion.

thanks

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Well if you run a L3 port channel you will double the bandwidth throughput with just using one link. That doesn't necessarily mean your going to be getting 20gbps (which I"m sure you very well may know). If you do it this way there will be only one path between two devices as far as EIGRP is considered. If it's kept as 2 individual links going between them, EIGRP could use equal cost load balancing or unequal cost load balancing. But this all depends on the topology, obviously of the EIGRP metric has equal cost paths it's going to do equal cost load balancing by default. Personally, if it were me, I could create a L3 port channel so you have one link as far as EIGRP is considered going between both devices.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

Multilink Interface will load balance per packet load sharing.

Having 3 L3 link and running EIGRP will do per flow load balance due to CEF. So only diffrence would be same load on all the  links if using PPP multi link  and diffrent on each link if CEF based.

Thanks

Ajay

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Well if you run a L3 port channel you will double the bandwidth throughput with just using one link. That doesn't necessarily mean your going to be getting 20gbps (which I"m sure you very well may know). If you do it this way there will be only one path between two devices as far as EIGRP is considered. If it's kept as 2 individual links going between them, EIGRP could use equal cost load balancing or unequal cost load balancing. But this all depends on the topology, obviously of the EIGRP metric has equal cost paths it's going to do equal cost load balancing by default. Personally, if it were me, I could create a L3 port channel so you have one link as far as EIGRP is considered going between both devices.

thanks Gents !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: