Views
Helpful
Replies

Network upgrade in small/medium business

Chris Campbell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been asked by a friend to do an upgrade to his business network.  I would appreciate any help and suggestions.

There are several things which need to be accomplished:

• Implement a VPN solution for remote access
  • Increase bandwidth to support new IP security cameras, which will send video to a video recording device
  • Extend the network farther out into the shop area, in order to connect cameras and add computers to the network

The current setup consists of

• A 24 port 10/100 switch in the main office area.  15 of the ports appear to be in active use.
  • A consumer-level ADSL termination unit, currently with 6/1 ADSL service
  • A 10/100 switch half way towards the back of the shop facility, apparently acting only as a repeater to overcome distance limitations
  • An 8-port switch and Wi-Fi access point in a small office area in the shop, which serves a couple of computers and machines.

So far, we have come to the following conclusions:

• A gigabit backbone between different areas of the plant is something we need to do
  • A fiber link from the front office to the back, eliminating the need for signal boosting mid way, would be a good option.
  • We would like the VPN to be accessible from mobile phone/tablet devices as well as personal computers.
  • We would like be able to do some sort of traffic shaping so that a large upload or download from one computer to the Internet cannot slow everyone else to a crawl. 

We will be adding a 2 or 3 computers and eventually 6 or 7 IP cameras in the back shop and probably similar number in the front of the shop (close to the office). 

I would like to go with Cisco equipment if it can fit within the budget.  My experience has been you get what you pay for with the cheaper gear.

I would appreciate any ideas on how best to do this upgrade.  Thanks!!!

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card