Helpful
Replies

Network vlan design?

louis0001
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

we have 50 sites connected via an MPLS network. Each site has 5 vlans:

v1 - management (for network devices eg routers, switches, ap's etc)
v100 - data
v200 - data 2 (for specific devices)v300 - guest (isolated with ACL's on each router)

vxxx - voice

The voice network has 50 different vlans ie each site has a specific vlan eg v500 - v550. It's working fine.

The only issue I have is the voice vlan makes it a little untidy. So I'm proposing to change the voice vlan to v400 across all sites. I know vlans operate at L2 and our other vlans are operating fine like this.

My only question is...... is this good practice? Could I run into problems further down the line?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

i guess whatever suits you in easier admistrstion then why not?

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

when you state mpls then I am assuming you mean your using L3VPN as such I won't matter if you renumber your vvlan to the same number ID as each site will be routed off your sites cpe rtr into your sp mpls environment.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

sorry, yes it's a L3 VPN. All sites are routed via L3 so the vlans at L2 don't really matter. I'm just wondering whether giving all sites the same uniform vlan assignment is good practice or not and what pitfalls there are for this.

I know with our guest network and our centralised controller, it's far easier management wise with all sites having the one vlan as opposed to different vlans

Hello

i guess whatever suits you in easier admistrstion then why not?

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card