cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking

Froix1234
Level 1
Level 1

I have 11 units running on XP. I have no problem sharing files except for 1 PC. I've turned off all firewalls. I've done ping tests to and from this PC and there seem to be no problem.

Is it possible that my network has limited me to 10 PCs? I barely recall reading something like this but I'm not sure. Hope You can help me.

7 Replies 7

Froix1234
Level 1
Level 1

It seems workgroups really do allow just 10 units not including a server. My problem now is how do I setup a PC as a server.

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Are you facing Login problems?

Try creating a admin user with password instead of using default administrator login

Any more prob.Pls revert back

Regards

JD

I've reading on other sources and now I'm confused. Hope u can help me.

First of all, How many computers can join a workgroup in a network? Is there a limit?

Hi,

In windows 98 you can have any number of computers in a workgroup, but in win2k or XP i think 10 is the maximum. You need to get the windows XP server CD (with licence) to install a server and create a domain and make all computers a part of this domain.

Rgds,

Naveen B

if you are using win2k Prof or XP Prof, you can only connect up to 10 computers at any one time.

Windows Prof license are only meant for client workstations

if you need to connect more than 10, you will need a windows server license.

Can I use Windows Server 2003 for the SERVER and Windows XP for the CLIENTS?

Oh, One more thing, Windows XP has automatically selected ten units from my network. Is it possible to choose and change which ten I would like? I've tried fooling around with workgroup names and nothing seems to work.

Yes, you can use win 2k3 as your main server. Here is a link to Microsoft's Small Business Server site...

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/hub.mspx

On your next Q, you can under My Network Places, but it is a pain because you will have to search every time unless you map that PC's shared drive.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card