Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco 9410 Console "Authentication Failed Error"

Dina2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I am having an issue with gaining access to a new Cisco 9410 via console.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated...

I think the issue is that the switch is not communicating with the TACAC server due to the switch being offline. I am trying to complete configuring the switch before I can place it on the network....  I was under the assumption that the 9000 series switches would default to the local login after 3 minute of timeout from attempting to connect to the TACAC server. This is based on my experience with other Cisco switches. I've just now started installing the 9000 series to my network. 

Thank you,

Dina

2 Replies 2

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If that's a new switch, it has no built-in TACACS configuration. Is it  a new or an existing switch?

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Dina

If I am understanding correctly you have configured some AAA authentication on this switch and now are not able to access the console because of authentication failure. If that is correct and if you have not yet saved your config changes then I suggest a power cycle to remove the AAA config and give you a chance to do it over. And when you do it over you should be sure to provide for local fall back in cases where TACAC is not available.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card