Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco Switch Problem After Upgrade

We got an old Cisco Catalyst 2960-48ts-s. We don't have a lot of money, but our Ubiquiti products keep dying and I was dipping my toe into Cisco products to test since I've heard they are better for our small business that is growing. 

So, I received the switch after a factory default reset. It booted and I got in and it was on ios 12.2 (default factory firmware). So, I downloaded 15.2.2 (c2960s-universalk9-tar.152-2.E9.tar) and used the web interface to upgrade. The first 4 steps completed successfully and it said it was now rebooting the router, problem is that it never came back up. I left it for 3 hours and when it didn't boot back up, I power-cycled the switch and left it over night. It still wasn't up when I checked this morning and it is running with the fan on but no lights. 

When I boot it up, the syst light blinks for about 3 seconds and then goes out and then it doesn't come back online. Any suggestions? I thought maybe I'd just factory reset it again, but I can't even get the switch to the point where I can hold down the mode button to do so.

Thanks in advanced and I'm sorry I don't know much about Cisco products. I'm great with ubiquiti, but like I mentioned, this product line is new to me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Paul,

you have been very kind to provide the console logs.

From what we can see the image file is loaded and de-compressed without errors.

Then when the switch tries to boot it fails.

Edit2:

use the recovery procedure provided by Rick to load the old image on the switch.

After booting with the old image you can issue a

show version

there is a line that will tell you how much memory is on the switch main cpu. The switch is likely with a too small RAM to run the 15.2 image.

Edit3: this is the link from Rick's post:

[second edit] And this link describes the process to recover a 2960 from a failed software upgrade

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swtrbl.html#22506

Edit4:

the Xmodem protocol uses the console cable and using the 9600 speed it will take hours to load the image on flash.

Before attempting to load the old image file verify that you have enough free space on the flash.

If the space is not enough you should delete the files related to image 15.2

note that actually you have a directory and the true ios image in within it

5 drwx 512 <date> c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9

However the boot command points to the correct path in your log files so yes it is not good for your switch.

>> flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Oleg Volkov
Spotlight
Spotlight
Hello.
First, connect console cable to switch and view out.
Second, can You post photo or video with LEDs? I want to see LED,s from apply power to about 30 second later
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog

I'm not sure how to use the console...any thoughts?

Console, is RS232 port.

If you buy original Cisco console cable, You must have COM port on Your PC.

Or You can buy USB console cable with integrated USB-RS232 converter, like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RJ45-For-Cisco-USB-Console-Cable/192831214866?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2ce5a2d512:g:HnUAAOSwxxVbytxk

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog

Here is the video

I can not view this video, can You send me it to e-mail: oleg@powerc.ru

Got the console output, it is attached:

Error is "Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically.  The BOOT environment variable needs to be set to a bootable image."

I also went through steps to re-flash and I still get the same error. I followed these steps:

Connect up your console cable and power on the switch, whilst holding down the “mode” button

flash_init

del flash:vlan.dat

del config.text

boot

the new c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin is the only ios in flash

Thanks for posting the console output. I wish that it provided more clarity about the issue. That file seems to show that it winds up at a prompt of switch:

Are you able to enter any commands at that prompt? If you try the questions mark ? or help does it indicate commands that you could execute? If there is anything like dir flash could you post that output? I am hoping to get indications of how big flash is and how much of its space is occupied by the image file, and how much space it has left.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

More output. I did ? and I also did flash_init

Thank you for the additional output. If dir flash does not work I wonder what output you would get for the simple command dir

HTH

Rick

[edit] having read the output again (and perhaps more carefully) I see that the initial dir flash did not work but after flash_init it did work. I still wonder what output you will get for just dir

HTH

Rick

I'm sorry, I came down with a cold and it floored me for a week.  I've attached two txt documents. The first, dir.txt, is dir commands after letting it try to boot (which still fails). The second dir2.txt, is dir commands after running flash_init

Hi,

What procedure did you follow to upgrade the IOS of the switch?

What are you seeing when you are accessing the switch through Console?

Spooster IT Services Team

I opened the web ui and chose upgrade, chose the tar file (c2960s-universalk9-tar.152-2.E9.tar) and clicked upgrade in the webui. I'm not sure how to use the console

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: