Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco Switch Problem After Upgrade

We got an old Cisco Catalyst 2960-48ts-s. We don't have a lot of money, but our Ubiquiti products keep dying and I was dipping my toe into Cisco products to test since I've heard they are better for our small business that is growing. 

So, I received the switch after a factory default reset. It booted and I got in and it was on ios 12.2 (default factory firmware). So, I downloaded 15.2.2 (c2960s-universalk9-tar.152-2.E9.tar) and used the web interface to upgrade. The first 4 steps completed successfully and it said it was now rebooting the router, problem is that it never came back up. I left it for 3 hours and when it didn't boot back up, I power-cycled the switch and left it over night. It still wasn't up when I checked this morning and it is running with the fan on but no lights. 

When I boot it up, the syst light blinks for about 3 seconds and then goes out and then it doesn't come back online. Any suggestions? I thought maybe I'd just factory reset it again, but I can't even get the switch to the point where I can hold down the mode button to do so.

Thanks in advanced and I'm sorry I don't know much about Cisco products. I'm great with ubiquiti, but like I mentioned, this product line is new to me.

31 Replies 31

I don't have any of the cables listed, so unless I can use a straight networking cable, I'll have to pause this until I get one from Amazon.

Straight cable will not work for console connection. Hopefully when you do get the console connection there will be some messages during the boot process that will identify the issue. 

As you were getting ready to upgrade the software did you check the memory requirements of the new software and verify that your switch has sufficient memory for the new software?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

According to this link the switch requires at least 512 MB and Cisco recommends 1 GB to run this new version of code.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/15-2_2_e/release/notes/OL_32525_01.html#pgfId-1042479

HTH

Rick

[edit] And according to this link your switch does not have sufficient memory for that version of code.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-s-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-726680.html?cachemode=refresh

[second edit] And this link describes the process to recover a 2960 from a failed software upgrade

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swtrbl.html#22506

note that you will need a console connection to do this

HTH

Rick

I'm not sure about that. I did a factory reset when I received it, so it should've been completely empty and had plenty of space

Let us know what the console messages say when you get your console cable. It may have been empty but was it at least 512 MB?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'll let you know. But, if it was factory reset, wouldn't it have at least 512? I assume they wouldn't make a requirement of 512 if the factory default doesn't have that amount of space, right? 

Either way, I'll check back in once I get the cable.

There certainly are models of the 2960S that do have sufficient memory to run the new operating system. My information suggests that the Catalyst 2960-48ts-s model did not have that much. I certainly do not know the capacity of your particular switch and so can not be certain about the problem. I offer what I have found as a suggestion and not as a fact. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I posted some console information under another comment in this thread. As it stands now, the console shows that it tries to load the bin file in flash and is unsuccessful. I would be happy to even downgrade to the base 12.2 if it got the switch back online. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Paul,

Rick is referring to the RAM of the switch CPU not to the flash drive.

And Rick is right that 512 MB of DRAM are required and 1GB is recommended.

Edit:

I cannot see your console log messages file attached in this thread. May you attach the file as text file to a new post?

Edit2:

use the recovery procedure provided by Rick to load the old image on the switch.

After booting with the old image you can issue a show version

there is a line that will tell you how much memory is on the switch main cpu. The switch is likely with a small RAM to run the 15.2 image.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Here is the boot log:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2019.08.12 12:59:20 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
@
Using driver version 1 for media type 1
Base ethernet MAC Address: d4:d7:48:3f:c5:00
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
Initializing Flash...
mifs[2]: 10 files, 1 directories
mifs[2]: Total bytes : 1806336
mifs[2]: Bytes used : 612352
mifs[2]: Bytes available : 1193984
mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[3]: 0 files, 1 directories
mifs[3]: Total bytes : 3870720
mifs[3]: Bytes used : 1024
mifs[3]: Bytes available : 3869696
mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[4]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[4]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[4]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[4]: Bytes available : 248832
mifs[4]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[5]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[5]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[5]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[5]: Bytes available : 248832
mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[6]: 654 files, 19 directories
mifs[6]: Total bytes : 57931776
mifs[6]: Bytes used : 22638080
mifs[6]: Bytes available : 35293696
mifs[6]: mifs fsck took 19 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
done.
Loading "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin"...@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
File "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000
executing...
Loading "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin"...@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
File "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000
executing...
Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

switch:

And this is the log after flash_init:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2019.08.12 15:01:12 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Using driver version 1 for media type 1
Base ethernet MAC Address: d4:d7:48:3f:c5:00
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

The system has been interrupted prior to initializing the
flash filesystem. The following commands will initialize
the flash filesystem, and finish loading the operating
system software:

flash_init
boot

switch: ?
? -- Present list of available commands
boot -- Load and boot an executable image
cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
copy -- Copy a file
delete -- Delete file(s)
dir -- List files in directories
flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
format -- Format a filesystem
fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
help -- Present list of available commands
memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
mkdir -- Create dir(s)
more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
rename -- Rename a file
reset -- Reset the system
rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
set -- Set or display environment variables
set_bs -- Set attributes on a boot sector filesystem
set_param -- Set system parameters in flash
sleep -- Pause (sleep) for a specified number of seconds
type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
-- MORE --
unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
version -- Display boot loader version

switch: dir flash:
unable to stat flash:/: invalid argument

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
mifs[2]: 10 files, 1 directories
mifs[2]: Total bytes : 1806336
mifs[2]: Bytes used : 612352
mifs[2]: Bytes available : 1193984
mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[3]: 0 files, 1 directories
mifs[3]: Total bytes : 3870720
mifs[3]: Bytes used : 1024
mifs[3]: Bytes available : 3869696
mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[4]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[4]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[4]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[4]: Bytes available : 248832
mifs[4]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[5]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[5]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[5]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[5]: Bytes available : 248832
mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
-- MORE --
mifs[6]: 651 files, 19 directories
mifs[6]: Total bytes : 57931776
mifs[6]: Bytes used : 22627840
mifs[6]: Bytes available : 35303936
mifs[6]: mifs fsck took 19 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.

switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 2072 <date> multiple-fs
3 -rwx 1916 <date> private-config.text
4 -rwx 1928 <date> private-config.text.renamed
5 drwx 512 <date> c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9

35303936 bytes available (22627840 bytes used)

switch: boot
executing...
executing...
Boot process failed...

switch: ?
? -- Present list of available commands
boot -- Load and boot an executable image
cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
copy -- Copy a file
delete -- Delete file(s)
dir -- List files in directories
flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
format -- Format a filesystem
fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
help -- Present list of available commands
memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
mkdir -- Create dir(s)
more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
rename -- Rename a file
reset -- Reset the system
rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
set -- Set or display environment variables
set_bs -- Set attributes on a boot sector filesystem
set_param -- Set system parameters in flash
sleep -- Pause (sleep) for a specified number of seconds
type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
-- MORE --
unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
version -- Display boot loader version

switch: set
BOARD_CONFIG_REV=0
BOOT=flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin
CLEI_CODE_NUMBER=COMGK00ARD
DAUGHTERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-11933-04
DAUGHTERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=A0
DAUGHTERBOARD_SERIAL_NUM=FOC1543368L
MAC_ADDR=D4:D7:48:3F:C5:00
MODEL_NUM=WS-C2960S-48TS-S
MODEL_REVISION_NUM=F0
MOTHERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-12424-06
MOTHERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=A0
MOTHERBOARD_SERIAL_NUM=FOC15425N8Z
POWER_SUPPLY_PART_NUM=341-0327-04
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUM=LIT153703F3
SDM_TEMPLATE_ID=0
SWITCH_PRIORITY=1
SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUM=FOC1509Y2KS
TAN_NUM=800-32452-04
TAN_REVISION_NUMBER=B0
VERSION_ID=V04

-- MORE --
switch:

Hello Paul,

you have been very kind to provide the console logs.

From what we can see the image file is loaded and de-compressed without errors.

Then when the switch tries to boot it fails.

Edit2:

use the recovery procedure provided by Rick to load the old image on the switch.

After booting with the old image you can issue a

show version

there is a line that will tell you how much memory is on the switch main cpu. The switch is likely with a too small RAM to run the 15.2 image.

Edit3: this is the link from Rick's post:

[second edit] And this link describes the process to recover a 2960 from a failed software upgrade

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swtrbl.html#22506

Edit4:

the Xmodem protocol uses the console cable and using the 9600 speed it will take hours to load the image on flash.

Before attempting to load the old image file verify that you have enough free space on the flash.

If the space is not enough you should delete the files related to image 15.2

note that actually you have a directory and the true ios image in within it

5 drwx 512 <date> c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9

However the boot command points to the correct path in your log files so yes it is not good for your switch.

>> flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9.bin

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Okay, I am transferring c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE13.bin to flash: via xmodem

I will let you know how it goes when I'm done following that guide.  Thanks for  your help

Good news is that following that guide did work. However, I only loaded the bin file but I want the web interface. The problem is that I cannot get the command del /recursive flash:c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E9/ to work. It asks me if I want to delete /recursive, then it asks if I want to delete flash:c2960s-....

Now that I know that this process will work, are there any tricks to getting the del command to work? I would like to now load the base ios with the html but I have to first get rid of the existing files from the ios version that didn't work. 

rmdir doesn't work because the directory is not empty and del wont work because it doesnt seem to honor the recursive command.

Thanks again for all your help

You can boot to IOS, and use tftp for download software with web.

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://your tftp server/your TAR ios archive

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/command/reference/2960_cr/cli1.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: