Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco Switch Problem After Upgrade

We got an old Cisco Catalyst 2960-48ts-s. We don't have a lot of money, but our Ubiquiti products keep dying and I was dipping my toe into Cisco products to test since I've heard they are better for our small business that is growing. 

So, I received the switch after a factory default reset. It booted and I got in and it was on ios 12.2 (default factory firmware). So, I downloaded 15.2.2 (c2960s-universalk9-tar.152-2.E9.tar) and used the web interface to upgrade. The first 4 steps completed successfully and it said it was now rebooting the router, problem is that it never came back up. I left it for 3 hours and when it didn't boot back up, I power-cycled the switch and left it over night. It still wasn't up when I checked this morning and it is running with the fan on but no lights. 

When I boot it up, the syst light blinks for about 3 seconds and then goes out and then it doesn't come back online. Any suggestions? I thought maybe I'd just factory reset it again, but I can't even get the switch to the point where I can hold down the mode button to do so.

Thanks in advanced and I'm sorry I don't know much about Cisco products. I'm great with ubiquiti, but like I mentioned, this product line is new to me.

31 Replies 31

It is all done, thank you so much! Quick recap in case someone comes across this and needs help:

1. copied the c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE13.bin file via xmodem
  2. copied a tar file that contained the c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE13 folder. Within that folder I had both the bin file and html dir
  3. booted to the bin file
  4. archive tar /xtract the tar file 
  5. booted down and booted up again from the bin file located in the c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE13 directory

Then I had access to the web gui express setup.

Thanks again!

Sorry, last question here. Does the switch always boot from flash:? Do I need to copy those file system files to another place on the switch? When I boot up, it still tries to boot to the old FW that didn't install correctly. 

So, I boot up by holding mode during boot up, initializing flash, then running boot flash:c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE13\c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE13.bin

I tried to follow a guide that said to run:

clear boot system all

but I get '% Invalid input detected at '^' marker' which the '^' shows under the boot part of 'clear boot system all'

So, do I leave my c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE13 folder (which has the bin file and the html dir) in the flash: dir?

And second, how to I set the boot environment variable

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card