cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco Switch Questions

BashedRoot
Level 2
Level 2

Looking to buy brand new or Cisco refresh certified L3 switches, mainly Nexus line 3000 or 9000 series.

I have some questions:

• N3K-C31108PC-V-RF (is this a good switch in general for web hosting?)
  • Is essentials license 100% required to use basic features like BGP routing?
  • why are essentials licenses thousands of dollars for basic features like BGP routing?

Essentials License: L-N3K-LAN1K9

What is the main difference between perpetual license and subscription (3 years)?

Some Cisco partners I'm looking at (USA based) are:

CVE Tech
Veemost
CDI LLC
EchoStor

Any feedback on these if you have experience, would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Hi

• N3K-C31108PC-V-RF (is this a good switch in general for web hosting?)

Not sure what you asked. Nexus is an execellent switch for switching.

• Is essentials license 100% required to use basic features like BGP routing?

Yes, it is.  You can check on the datasheet.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-3000-series-switches/datasheet-c78-741562.html 

• why are essentials licenses thousands of dollars for basic features like BGP routing?

It does not support only BGP.  But, as you may know averything with a Cisco logo will cost you thousands of dollars.

Essential License
(N3K-ES-XM)

●  Advanced layer 3 IP routing: OSPFv2, EIGRP, Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS), and Virtual Routing and Forwarding Lite (VRF-Lite), DCNM and Telemetry Features: Buffer Drop Capture (BDC), High Delay Capture (HDC) and INT

Essentials License: L-N3K-LAN1K9

What is the main difference between perpetual license and subscription (3 years)?

I think the terms are self explanatory . Perpetual means you hold it forever and subscription you hold it for a period.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card