Views
Helpful
Replies

New switch with STP

gerardothink
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon

I have a new switch which i have already setup as STP client, but i have not attached the interfaces to their appropriate vlans, and i have not done it because if i do the type the command switchport mode access vlan # on the interfaces to set up the access interfaces automatically is going to create the vlan on the local database and i know that when it gets installed the switch is going to create all the vlans from the bridge root switch but at the same time i am confused how they are going to get attached to the interfaces i want, will there will a problem if before installing the switch i setup the vlans on the local database so that i can apply the command switchport mode access on the appropriate interfaces? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

This should not be an issue.  Simply create the vlan(s) you need and add the proper interfaces as access ports to each vlan.

If the switch has a trunk port connecting to another switch or a router, make sure that the new vlan(s) are added to the trunk port as well.

HTH

View solution in original post

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

You can apply it in any interfaces that you need and after it you can define a port that is directly attached with the rest of your network and change from access to trunk and pass all vlans that you need.

To configure your vlans database automatically, you can use a VTP to have a consistency vlan database in all devices on your network.

check this for more information: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swvtp.html

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

This should not be an issue.  Simply create the vlan(s) you need and add the proper interfaces as access ports to each vlan.

If the switch has a trunk port connecting to another switch or a router, make sure that the new vlan(s) are added to the trunk port as well.

HTH

thank you very much

Good Luck!

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

You can apply it in any interfaces that you need and after it you can define a port that is directly attached with the rest of your network and change from access to trunk and pass all vlans that you need.

To configure your vlans database automatically, you can use a VTP to have a consistency vlan database in all devices on your network.

check this for more information: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swvtp.html

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card