cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1010v Appliance and esxi connectivity

c.stewart28
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having problems getting the appliance configured properly it seems to be vlan issue. I tried to

Environment:

1010v Appliance (Type 3)

Management: vlan 50

Control and Packets: vlan 51

ESXi Environment:

The blades hosting esxi on network 41

The virtual center on vlan 40

The actual vm's on vlan 45

Question:

1. Should I make this a Type 4 environment since I have so many VLANS?

2. The Management and Virtual Center have to be on the same Vlan correct?

1 Reply 1

Daniel Laden
Level 4
Level 4

I understand you are installing a N1010 appliance with network uplink type 3.

Option 3: Ports 1-2 Carry Management, Ports 3-6 Carry Control and Data Traffic
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/hw/installation/guide/n1010_install_hw_appl.html#wp1350638

The first two ports carry management, the rest carry control and  data.  Data is used by non-nexus installations on n1010.  The NAM VSB is an example of what uses the data vlan.

Ports 1 and 2 are in an active/standby portchannel.  The upstream switch will need to be configured as trunks, no port channel configuration.  One port to each switch

Ports 3 & 5 should goto switch 1 and LACP should be configured on Switch1 for these ports

Ports 4 & 6 should goto switch 2 and LACP should be configured on Switch 2 for these ports

The Nexus 1010 tags all traffic.  For all ports on the upstream switches associated with N1010, create and use a new vlan for the native vlan.  It is different from all other vlans used on the N1010.

For the upstream switch associated with ports 1 and 2, you will want to allow vlan 50.  The management vlan will need to be common across all installation on the N1010 (1010, 1000v, nam,etc)

Ports 3-6 will need to allow vlan 51 for control packet communication.

The communication to the VMs go through the VEM and do not go to N1010. You do not need to add the VM VLANs to the trunks associated with the N1010.  The management vlan does not need to be the same for the vCenter.

Thank You,

Dan Laden

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card