Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3100 - Layer 3 peering over VPC

A.Swinnen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've came along a few documents describing supported topologies for dynamic routing peering over VPC.

I've read the document "Supported Topologies for Routing over Virtual Port Channel on Nexus Platforms" (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html), which is very interesting.

I'm particularly interested in building a topology like shown in figure 8 of the following document, but it describes a setup for Nexus 7k. Is it also supported on Nexus 3100 or Nexus 9300? I've attached a copy of the image ("Supported: Peering Over a vPC Interconnection Where Each Nexus Device Peers with Two vPC Peers. ")

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/b-Cisco-Nexus-7000-Series-NX-OS-Interfaces-Configuration-Guide-Book/configuring-vpcs.html#d52364e4569a1635

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I believe that the topology you want to configure - essentially a double-sided vPC with L3 IGP adjacencies over vPC between all four switches - should work. However, according to the document about supported topologies you have included, you will need to run at least 7.0(3)I5(1) on these N3100 switches, and use the layer3 peer-router in your vPC domain configuration on all four switches. Do note that the current long-lived NX-OS release is 7.0(3)I6(1), and the bleeding edge 7.0(3)I7(1) has hit the download site just a day or two ago; I6(x) is likely a better choice in terms of stability.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I believe that the topology you want to configure - essentially a double-sided vPC with L3 IGP adjacencies over vPC between all four switches - should work. However, according to the document about supported topologies you have included, you will need to run at least 7.0(3)I5(1) on these N3100 switches, and use the layer3 peer-router in your vPC domain configuration on all four switches. Do note that the current long-lived NX-OS release is 7.0(3)I6(1), and the bleeding edge 7.0(3)I7(1) has hit the download site just a day or two ago; I6(x) is likely a better choice in terms of stability.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for confirming. I'll probably install 7.0(3)I6.

Arnout,

I am looking at deploying this same topology on Nexus 93180YC-EXs.  Were there any issues you encountered with routing? Or did all work as expected? 

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card