Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3172pq upgrade messages

kosat91
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I would like upgrade two nexus3271pq (vpc peer) , but i get message when I am trying to upgrade nxos from 7.0(3)I2(2b)  to  7.0(3)l4(6). 

This message is normal? 

Could you help me, please ?

I attached the pictures.

Thank you very much.

Tom

nexus3172pq messages.JPG

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tom,

Would you mind executing the show incompatibility-all nxos bootflash:nxos.7.0.3.I4.6.bin and sharing the output? Obviously, something that you have currently configured is not supported or compatible with the target NX-OS release. This command should allows us to understand better what it is.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi!

Thanks your answer.

Output: No incompatible configuration :(

sh_incomp.JPG

Tom

Hi Tom,

The output is not very helpful, is it? :)

My suggestion is to make a backup of your running-config, and proceed with the upgrade, ideally starting with your vPC secondary switch. After that switch is upgraded and reloaded, I suggest running show running-config diff to see what are the differences between the startup-config and the running-config.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi,

Before you upgrade, try the "show install all impact" command to make sure you know what will be upgraded. Also, have a look at the rest of the verification commands before upgrading in table-8 in this link:

Now, this is for 6k but the command should be the same for your platform.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus6000/sw/upgrade/731_N1_1/n6000_upgrade_downgrade_731_n1_1.html

HTH

Hi!

Thanks Peter and Reza.

I tried already all (show install all impact..etc.... )  :(

The "vpc feature is enable" and  "Upgrade will be disruptiv " - What does it mean?

I think the vpc is disconnect when I reload.

What do you think?

Thanks

Tom,

Upgrade will be disruptiv 

Means you can't use ISSU. But even without ISSU, you can simply upgrade/reboot one switch at a time by using the "install all" command and still have connectivity as long as your end devices (servers, storage, etc..) are connected to both switches and are configured as HA. So, if your devices are duly connected you can still do this without downtime and without ISSU.

Also, as long as vPC is configured correctly, you don't have to worry about it during the upgrade at all as you can have one switch running one OS and the other switch running a different OS and vPC will function fine.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card