Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5000 bricked?

bencampbell1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have run into an issue with a Nexus 5000. When trying to upgrade to the newest NX-OS (upgrading the system and kickstarters from 4.2.1.N1.1 to 5.2.1.N1.8b, in order to work with some Nexus 2232TMs), we lost power during the upgrade...the worst luck, I know.

Anyway, as of now our 5000 will not seem to boot or even POST. When power is applied, the fans spin up before returning to a low RPM, and no lights appear other than on the bottom two cross-connect and management ports, where a solid green light will turn on. No console output is given, either. My feeling is that the BIOS was corrupted when the power was lost during the upgrade, and I've tried to force it to boot to the golden BIOS with ctrl+shift+6 during boot to a console connection, but no luck there. 

My understanding is that the BIOS along with the OS is kept on the flash card installed in the Nexus 5000, correct? In that case, I've located the card inside the system, but I haven't tried pulling anything apart.

As such, I'm wondering if there's a way to force or flash the BIOS chip on the Nexus 5000. Since the management port still seems to be alive (if I plug in an ethernet cable to it from my laptop, it recognizes it as being plugged in to something), but I don't know the IP of that port, is there any way to access that port and TFTP firmware onto the chip? We have another flash card in a good Nexus 5000 as well, is there a way to copy from that good card to the bad one, and fix it that way? Or will I need to figure out how to JTAG into the port on the 5000 and clear out the NVRAM to see if I can force something that way?

I know it's a tough problem, but any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

3 Replies 3

bencampbell1
Level 1
Level 1

Posting as an update to this issue. I've noticed it may not be the Flash card as I previously thought. Getting a chance to get inside the system when booting, I noticed two LEDs would turn on and stay solid on the motherboard.

One is labeled SEQ B FAIL, the other SEQ C FAIL. I assume these are for POST or something similar, but this points me to believe now that the motherboard itself is fried? If there's any way to fix this, please let me know. Thank you.

Mine did the same thing but during the power sequencer upgrade, it cut out after it reached 100% and now does not POST. I'll probably wind up pulling whatever chip it may be and reprogram it with a prom reader, the problem is finding the sequencer upgrade file by itself.

Hi Guys, think I am suffering with the same problem! Did you get this from the BIOS screen? I tried Ctrl + Shift + 6 but even the golden BIOS won't boot. I'm a little stuck  

Thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card