Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 SPAN destination

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I'm running into an issue that I hope can be easily resolved and attributed to me being stupid....

My Nexus 5548 will only allow 1 destination per span session?! Is this correct?

HQ-N5k-2(config-if-range)# monitor session 1

HQ-N5k-2(config-monitor)# source interface e1/17 both

HQ-N5k-2(config-monitor)# destination interface e2/14 - 16
ERROR: Only one destination per session
HQ-N5k-2(config-monitor)#

I want to mirror a 1gbps port to three destinations. We're bringing in 3 IPS vendors for a "bake-off" so the three of them would need to see the traffic.

I know Nexus doesn't support RSPAN (yet), that would be my only other idea for making this happen. Any thoughts?

Nx-OS version: 5.0(3)N1(1b)

9 Replies 9

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

You cannot set more than one destination to a monitor session.  You can have multiple source interfaces, but only one destination.  Try this:

destination interface e2/14

You will need to create two more separate monitoring session with the same source interfaces but set the destination to the other two interfaces.

HQ-N5k-2(config-if-range)# monitor session 1

HQ-N5k-2(config-monitor)# destination interface e2/14

HQ-N5k-2(config-if-range)# monitor session 2

HQ-N5k-2(config-monitor)# destination interface e2/15

HQ-N5k-2(config-if-range)# monitor session 3

HQ-N5k-2(config-monitor)# destination interface e2/16

Please rate if helpful

rtjensen4,

Was my post not helpful? I noticed that you rated it 1 star out of 5 stars. I don't have a problem with the rating (you rate as you choose based of how much it may or may not have helped) but if my response was insufficient, which by the rating I assume it was... please let me know where it fell short so that I can answer future inquiries on this subject better.  Thanks for rating.

I guess I hit the wrong button...

No worries.  If the answer was sufficient, please click the 'Correct Answer' button.  It's mainly for the benefit of others who run across the issue, they can quickly identify correct answers by the markings. If it's not, please disregard. Thanks again rtjensen4.

this is wrong info u can Only use one source .

nx5k# con
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
nx5k(config)# monitor session 1
nx5k(config-monitor)# source interface ethernet 1/19 both
nx5k(config-monitor)# destination int e 1/20
nx5k(config-monitor)# exit

nx5k(config)# monitor session 2
nx5kconfig-monitor)# source interface ethernet 1/19 both
ERROR: Eth1/19: Interface is src in another session
nx5k(config-monitor)# 

eng.omarka,

Thanks for rating.  Hmmmm..... What NX-OS version are you running?

My guess is that there is there is a limitation either on the 5k or the NX-OS version you're running.  I'm working with n7ks and figured it would work on 5ks as well.  I just tried it and it worked fine .  I'm on NX-OS 6.2(12)

Switch-VDC-1# conf t
Switch-VDC-1(config)# monitor session 1
Switch-VDC-1(config-monitor)# source int e1/1 both
Switch-VDC-1(config-monitor)# dest int e1/20
Switch-VDC-1(config-monitor)# monitor session 2
Switch-VDC-1(config-monitor)# source int e1/1 both
Switch-VDC-1(config-monitor)# dest int e1/19

Your post helps.  There is obviously a limitation somewhere, and maybe someone else who may, in the future, be working with what you have can benefit from seeing where your limitations are.

thanks for replay , 

your switch name is (HQ-N5k-2 ) so i thought is 5k

I would like to add a point of clarity here.  What eng.omarka is calling wrong is correct in that you can't use an interface in two separate SPANs as he demonstrates.  That's not what's being asked in the OP.  The OP asks if there can be multiple destinations for a given SPAN, which there cannot be.

So, to be clear (to anyone new viewing this thread), yes you can use multiple source interfaces within a SPAN, but no you cannot use multiple destinations for that SPAN and you cannot use a given interface in 2 separate SPANs on the 5548.  Hope that helps

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

edit..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco