Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5k disruptive upgrade

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I'm looking at upgrading cisco Nexus5548 switches (vPc) from 5.2(1)N1(4) to 7.3(5)N1(1).

The cisco documentation suggests the upgrade path should be:

5.2(1)N1(4) > 5.2(1)N1(6) > 7.0(8)N1(1) > 7.1(4)N1(1) > 7.3(5)N1(1)

The ISSU verify install for 5.2(1)N1(4) > 5.2(1)N1(6) fails due to the Nexus 5k uplinks (connecting to 6500 VSS) having a spanning-tree type of normal. As a result I'm looking to do a disruptive upgrade.

Is it possible to do a single disruptive upgrade from 5.2(1)N1(4) directly to 7.3(5)N1(1) or do I still have to follow the Cisco recommended path.

If this is possible, when the first Nexus is upgraded to 7.3(5)N1(1) will the vpc peer-link to the Nexus still running 5.2(1)N1(4) come up ok?

The Nexus setup is pretty basic - no fex, just vpc's connecting fabric interconnects and some NAS.

Thanks
Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it possible to do a single disruptive upgrade from 5.2(1)N1(4) directly to 7.3(5)N1(1) or do I still have to follow the Cisco recommended path.

No, you would have to follow the path upgrade.  You can't jump directly to 7.3 regardless of using vPC or not. 

If this is possible, when the first Nexus is upgraded to 7.3(5)N1(1) will the vpc peer-link to the Nexus still running 5.2(1)N1(4) come up ok?

Yes, in a vPC environment, you can have 2 different switches running 2 different software versions. Please note that this should be a temporary solution and until you upgrade the other switch.

The Nexus setup is pretty basic - no fex, just vpc's connecting fabric interconnects and some NAS.

There should be no issues. 

One thing I recommend is to to upgrade for example the first switch 5.2 and do the same on the second switch. Than upgrade the first switch to 7.0(8) and do the same on the second switch and so on....

Good Luck!

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
In my experience, making such a large jump wont work without the interim patches, I have tried something similiar and it didnt work.
Best to follow the versions recommended.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, you would have to follow the path upgrade.  You can't jump directly to 7.3 regardless of using vPC or not. 

Yes, in a vPC environment, you can have 2 different switches running 2 different software versions. Please note that this should be a temporary solution and until you upgrade the other switch.

There should be no issues. 

One thing I recommend is to to upgrade for example the first switch 5.2 and do the same on the second switch. Than upgrade the first switch to 7.0(8) and do the same on the second switch and so on....

Good Luck!

HTH

Thank you both for the replies. I'll go down the non-ISSU disruptive upgrade path recommended by Cisco (upgrading one switch at a time).

I'll mark question as answered and update with anything new after the upgrades are complete

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Please make sure to use the "show install all impact" command before each version upgrade as with some versions not only the OS is being upgrade but also the power and Rommon, etc..

Also, please make sure you do this in a maintenance window as it is disruptive to your environment.

HTH  

Hi Reza - yes, I was planning to do the "impact" verification before each upgrade. The impact of the first upgrade looked minimal (no bios, power etc upgrades) so I was hoping that upgrade wouldn't take too long. I've arranged a maintenance window for the work so the NAS/VM admins are aware.

Thanks again

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card