Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5K to 2960 Switch, VPC connectivity

Configuration details: I have 2 nexus 5K switches and both 5K is connected to four 2960 access switches in each floor through fiber(shown in the attached picture). I have configured each VPC for each floor and portchannel configuration on 2960s switch to communicate to 5K switches. Now I am not able to communicate PC 1 connected in 1st floor to PC2 connected in 4th Floor.

Please help me to solve the issue.

I have attached topology map of my infra and the configuration files also. 1st floor switch and 4th floor swich have same configuration except IP address and switch name.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

What does a "show spanning-tree vlan 1" from N5k point-of-view look like? If I had to guess I'd say it would show the downlinks to 2960s as blocked.

You have configured them with bridge assurance (spanning-tree port type network), which only works if the opposite site supports this and is explicitly configured in the same way. I'm not sure but I believe the 2960 does not support bridge assurance at all. Try to configure the ports as spanning-tree port type normal instead.

On a side note: I see you use 2x10Gig ports for the keep-alive link. While this does not hurt at all I consider it to be a huge waste of bandwidth. If you'll ever get the need for more 10Gig interfaces in the future you can safely reconsider this. According to Cisco docs, the 1Gig-Mgmt-interface is good enough for that task.

Regards

Pille

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

What does a "show spanning-tree vlan 1" from N5k point-of-view look like? If I had to guess I'd say it would show the downlinks to 2960s as blocked.

You have configured them with bridge assurance (spanning-tree port type network), which only works if the opposite site supports this and is explicitly configured in the same way. I'm not sure but I believe the 2960 does not support bridge assurance at all. Try to configure the ports as spanning-tree port type normal instead.

On a side note: I see you use 2x10Gig ports for the keep-alive link. While this does not hurt at all I consider it to be a huge waste of bandwidth. If you'll ever get the need for more 10Gig interfaces in the future you can safely reconsider this. According to Cisco docs, the 1Gig-Mgmt-interface is good enough for that task.

Regards

Pille

Hello Pille,

Let me thank you first for the reply,

as you mentioed on NOTE: i will do the same for the keepalive link.

But my main issue is the connectivity between 5K to all the 2960S switch. Any way let me try spanning tree port type normal and reply you .

Regards,

Nikhil

Dear pille,

You are correct Mr.Pille... i have changed the "spanning-tree port type Network to spanning-tree port type normal"  and its got work.

thank you very much for the help.

Regards,

Nikhil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco