Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7 VPC Compatibility Between NX-OS Version

CLCrawl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have 2 Nexus 7010s in a VPC pair. They both have out of support hardware so we are replacing the guts, new SUPs and linecards, one at a time. They are also running very old code, NX-OS 5.2. We would like to bring up the upgraded one on the latest possible version of NX-OS, but we need to maintain VPC interoperability.

I for the life of me can't find concrete documentation on what versions can function as a VPC pair. I know it's possible to run distinct major code levels at least temporarily while doing a code upgrade on a pair. Any direction or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I know it's possible to run distinct major code levels at least temporarily while doing a code upgrade on a pair.

That is correct. You can use a different version of software on each device temporarily until you migrate to a new version. So, 5.2 supports vPC, and I am sure any newer version will do the same. So, you should be good to go with upgrading one device at a time. I would be sure to do any of these changes during a maintenance window. Also, make sure to have a good backup of the current config before making any of these changes.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I know it's possible to run distinct major code levels at least temporarily while doing a code upgrade on a pair.

That is correct. You can use a different version of software on each device temporarily until you migrate to a new version. So, 5.2 supports vPC, and I am sure any newer version will do the same. So, you should be good to go with upgrading one device at a time. I would be sure to do any of these changes during a maintenance window. Also, make sure to have a good backup of the current config before making any of these changes.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card