cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 - SNMP for VLANs Show No Traffic

Chris Lhamon
Level 1
Level 1

We recently installed a Nexus 7004 and I setup the switch on PRTG.  All of the sensors work fine except for VLANs.  The link says up but with 0 bits of activity.  We had the same setup with our 4510 and it worked.  We are running a very old version of PRTG, but I installed a trial of v13 and the same thing happens. We also have a VB script that backs up the running configs, and it connects to the switch, creates a file, but the running config is missing for the 7004.

We are running NX-OS 6.1(4), which is the latest version as of right now.  I'm needing 6.2.(2) for our FEXs, so I'll be installing that soon after they release it.  I don't think that will solve the SNMP problem though.

I tried changing any SNMP settings that I could to get it working and nothing was successful.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Chris Lhamon
Level 1
Level 1

Does the Nexus not monitor the data rates on the VLANs?

I have tried different versions of SNMP with the the same result.

I had to start a case with Cisco.  Our line cards are N7K-F248XP-25.  Aparently Cisco doesn't allow counters on the VLANs for the F2 cards.  NX-OS 6.2.2, which they just released, might allow VLAN counters on the F2 cards, but I'm not betting on it.

There have been way too many little things and big things that don't work on the Nexus.  Definately would talk with several consultants to make sure every little bit of your setup works before buying Nexus.  One consultant and working with Cisco directly still didn't get a working setup.

Hi Liam,

Did 6.2.2 solve the snmp vlan counter issue?

And for any future buyers, indeed please be verry carefull. We had our fair share of problems and a lot of things simply feel like the stuff is still in the devellopment phase.

Agree way too many gotchas and dependencies .  You want reliabiltiy and ease of use stick with the 6500/6800 line

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card