cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 Supervisor engines

Saroj Pariyar
Level 1
Level 1

I have a nexus 7000 with two Supervisor engines. One is Active and the other one is Hot-Standby. I have connected the management ports from each supervisor engines to Catalyst 3750 Switch. 

The management connections  MGMT0 (copper connections)  coming from Active supervisor engine to 3750 Switch is showing up and connected.

SwitchA#sh int gigabitEthernet 1/0/7
GigabitEthernet1/0/7 is up, line protocol is up (connected) 

However the management connections MGMT 0(copper connections)  coming from Standby supervisor engine to 3750 Switch is showing down.

SwitchB#sh int GigabitEthernet 1/0/40
GigabitEthernet1/0/40 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect) 

Is this the way it should behave ? I am trying to failover the supervisor engines as i am upgrading the code in Nexus 7k. Once i failover, will the copper connections coming from standby sup will be up and connected ? Else i will lose my management connectivity to the Nexus 7000. Please let me know if you have experienced something like this.

Thanks,

Saroj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad to help.

Please rate and mark the post as answered so others can benefit from it.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is the correct behavior.  As long as the primary sup is up, you will see the mgmt0 for the primary Sup up.  The second you fail over to the stand-by sup, the mgmt0 for that sup will come up and the old primary will go down.  So, it is only one mgmt0 is up at a time.

Make sure both mgmt0 interfaces are in the same vlan and also port fast is turned on so the mgmt ports comes up as soon as possible.

HTH

Thanks Reza for your clarification.

Glad to help.

Please rate and mark the post as answered so others can benefit from it.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card