Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7010 Interface traffic

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears,

I have 2 questions.

if any interface on N7k version 7.X who is broadcasting a heavy traffic which show command  should be executed to see from where the traffic is arriving.

I have nexus N7k with all F3 cards do it is necessary to have a M card for IP routing (OSPF,EIGRP) and for OTV.

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Try "show inter ex/x/x counter"

HTH

View solution in original post

Hello,

I am just adding more information.

M1 series are used for all  layer 3 operations such as MPLS, OTV and routing protocols but the F1 series are basically layer 2 cards and used for for FEX, FabricPath and etc.

F1 modules can perform layer 3 routing if M1 modules are presented. In fact, M1 modules perform proxy routing.

Cisco released M2 and F2 series afterwards. F2  line cards can also do basic Layer 3 functions but it can not be used for advance L3 features such as OTV or MPLS. 

Then, cisco launched F3 cards which are full L3 with all advanced features. 

Hope it helps,

Masoud

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

From the data sheet:

The F3-Series module supports all of the foundational networking protocols needed to build Layer 2 and Layer 3 networks.

see link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/datasheet-c78-733366.html

As for the number of broadcast traffic, check the interface that is connected to the end device

sh int ex/x/x det

HTH

Dear Reza,

the above command sh int ex/x/x det mentioned is for the known ports and incase If we don't know where the traffic is coming from then ??

In ios we enter a command sh inter summary and we know so and so interface is sending traffic by seeing the increasing output on the particular interface, but in nexus which show command can be helpful ???

Thanks

Hi,

Try "show inter ex/x/x counter"

HTH

Hello,

I am just adding more information.

M1 series are used for all  layer 3 operations such as MPLS, OTV and routing protocols but the F1 series are basically layer 2 cards and used for for FEX, FabricPath and etc.

F1 modules can perform layer 3 routing if M1 modules are presented. In fact, M1 modules perform proxy routing.

Cisco released M2 and F2 series afterwards. F2  line cards can also do basic Layer 3 functions but it can not be used for advance L3 features such as OTV or MPLS. 

Then, cisco launched F3 cards which are full L3 with all advanced features. 

Hope it helps,

Masoud

Dear Reza,

show inter counters show's every port incoming and outgoing traffic.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card