Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K sup switchover

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I need to know under what circumstances does active sup failver on standby sup in nexus 7K switch.

Does any ports down and any other events could cause sup switchover OR only active sup failure cause switchover to standby sup. please advice. Here below you see active sup in slot 3 is up and ha-standby state which was active and failed over. We didnt do it manually.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

N7K#

Module 3 was previuos active.

3 0 Supervisor Module-2 N77-SUP2E ha-standby
4 0 Supervisor Module-2 N77-SUP2E active *

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check the logs , you may find more info as to what caused it, still better is to have a syslog server configured in order to be able to review logs over a longer time span and preserving the logs too.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

There are a large number of events that can cause an unprompted supervisor switchover like this one. The active supervisor may have become unresponsive, crashed, or encountered a catastrophic hardware failure.

The output of show system uptime should inform you how long the currently-active supervisor has been online. This will help you verify when the switchover itself took place. As @marce1000 mentioned, the output of show logging logfile and/or show logging nvram filtered on the time of the switchover would be a good starting point to begin investigating this issue.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card