Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7k VDC

tinhnho123
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Guys,

What are the minimum ports that I can allocate per VDC that Cisco recommends? I created a new VDC on Nexus 7k, i was told that you need to allocate minimum 8 ports per VDC. I allocated 3-6 ports and the VDC worked fine before. I can't find any Cisco documents which regarding about minimum ports allocation per VDC either. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

There are limitations, it depends on the linecard in question. Most M-series linecards allows you to allocate interfaces individually and assign them to a vDC. As I recall, only the M132 and M148 are the exception to that rule.

The F-series cards use a different hw-architecture. These cards use the concept of port-groups, where each group contains a fixed number of ports mapped to an asic on the linecard. The F1-card maps interfaces in units of 2 (e.g. 1-2, 3-4 etc etc), and the F2-cards maps interfaces in units of 4 (1-4, 5-6 etc etc). Check the url below for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/archive_601/vdc_nx-os_cfg/vdc_create.htmt

You can view the physícal port-to-asic layout by attatching to the module in question and run the command 'show hardware internal dev-port-map'.

hth

/Ulrich

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I don't think there is minimum.  You can assign as few or as many port as you want.

HTH

What's about the ASIC on that Nexus? is there any recommendation for the port allocation of the ASIC?

Thanks.

Hi,

There are limitations, it depends on the linecard in question. Most M-series linecards allows you to allocate interfaces individually and assign them to a vDC. As I recall, only the M132 and M148 are the exception to that rule.

The F-series cards use a different hw-architecture. These cards use the concept of port-groups, where each group contains a fixed number of ports mapped to an asic on the linecard. The F1-card maps interfaces in units of 2 (e.g. 1-2, 3-4 etc etc), and the F2-cards maps interfaces in units of 4 (1-4, 5-6 etc etc). Check the url below for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/archive_601/vdc_nx-os_cfg/vdc_create.htmt

You can view the physícal port-to-asic layout by attatching to the module in question and run the command 'show hardware internal dev-port-map'.

hth

/Ulrich

Thanks a lot for the info!

Hi,

it sounds stupid but i have a f2 card and it's 4 ports ASIC but i assign only 2 ports (1-2) for vdc a and 2 ports (3-4) for vdc b, what would happen? Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card