cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus C9504 power question

jesmasheli
Level 1
Level 1

I am hoping someone can clarify this question that I have been going back and forth on with TAC.
Nexus C9504 with 4 power supplies running 3,150W each. The chassis requires 3,584W to boot. The power redundancy is currently set to "InSrc-Redundant", and we had a power supply failure, everything booted except 1 line card, and that makes sense per the table in Cisco documentation as now we only have 3,000W to boot with in the current scenario.
Given that I only need 3,584W, wouldn't I be better off using "combined mode" as that would give me 12,000W total and essentially 2 "spare" power supplies even though this mode isn't "redundant"?

1 Reply 1

Walston3459
Level 1
Level 1

@jesmasheli wrote:

I am hoping someone can clarify this question that I have been going back and forth on with TAC.
Nexus C9504 with 4 power supplies running 3,150W each. The chassis requires 3,584W to boot. The power redundancy is currently set to "InSrc-Redundant", and we had a power supply failure, everything booted except 1 line card, and that makes sense per the table in Cisco documentation as now we only have 3,000W to boot with in the current scenario. Subway Listens
Given that I only need 3,584W, wouldn't I be better off using "combined mode" as that would give me 12,000W total and essentially 2 "spare" power supplies even though this mode isn't "redundant"?

Hello! According to the Cisco documentation, the Nexus C9504 requires 3,584W to boot. If you are currently using “InSrc-Redundant” power redundancy mode and have experienced a power supply failure, you are correct that you only have 3,000W to boot with. If you switch to “Combined” power mode, you will have access to all four power supplies, which will give you a total of 12,600W. However, this mode is not redundant, so if one power supply fails, you will not have any backup power supplies.

If you are concerned about power supply redundancy, you may want to consider using “N+1” power redundancy mode instead. This mode requires an additional power supply, but it provides full redundancy in case of a power supply failure.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card