Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Default VPC

Pieter de jong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Netpro,

I'm pretty new to Nexus and have been putting in quoite a large deployment. One thing that happened has made me question if this is the default Nexus behavior. We have 2x7k's, multiple 5K's and loads of 2K's. What I see is the following:

We have 2x5k's running a VPC between them. When they are both powered on, the VPC comes up and everything works fantastic. When I power off any one of them the redundancy works great. My problem is if I power both off and only power one back on, the VPC fails to come back online. This renders the entire 2 x 5K's and FEX's useless.

This doesn't seem correct or to be default behavior. So has anyone come across this? I'm tipping its a config issue perhaps?

Thanks

Pieter

This is the output from the device that is powered on:

vPC domain id                   : 205

Peer status                     : peer link is down            

vPC keep-alive status           : Suspended (Destination IP not reachable)

Configuration consistency status: failed 

Per-vlan consistency status     : success                      

Configuration consistency reason: Consistency Check Not Performed

Type-2 consistency reason       : Consistency Check Not Performed

vPC role                        : none established             

Number of vPCs configured       : 11 

Peer Gateway                    : Disabled

Dual-active excluded VLANs      : -

Graceful Consistency Check      : Disabled (due to peer configuration)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

eric.long
Level 1
Level 1

Is auto-recovery enabled in your vPC configuration?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_vpc_ops.html

"Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(2)N2(1), the auto-recovery  feature brings up the vPC links when one peer is down. This feature  performs two operations:

If  both switches reload, and only one switch boots up, auto-recovery  allows that switch to assume the role of the primary switch. The vPC  links come up after a configurable period of time if the vPC peer-link  and the peer-keepalive fail to become operational within that time. If  the peer-link comes up but the peer-keepalive does not come up, both  peer switches keep the vPC links down. This feature is similar to the  reload restore feature in Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(2)N1(1) and earlier  releases. The reload delay period can range from 240 to 3600 seconds. "

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is not the default behavior.  There might be something wrong with the config.

What is the status of "sh vpc" when borh 5ks are up and running?

also what is the output of"sh run vpc"?

HTH

eric.long
Level 1
Level 1

Is auto-recovery enabled in your vPC configuration?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_vpc_ops.html

"Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(2)N2(1), the auto-recovery  feature brings up the vPC links when one peer is down. This feature  performs two operations:

If  both switches reload, and only one switch boots up, auto-recovery  allows that switch to assume the role of the primary switch. The vPC  links come up after a configurable period of time if the vPC peer-link  and the peer-keepalive fail to become operational within that time. If  the peer-link comes up but the peer-keepalive does not come up, both  peer switches keep the vPC links down. This feature is similar to the  reload restore feature in Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(2)N1(1) and earlier  releases. The reload delay period can range from 240 to 3600 seconds. "

Thank you!! Works beautifu now. Would imagine this would be default though?

Cheers

Pieter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card