cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus password recovery for default admin username

incognito
Level 1
Level 1

could someone help me to recover password for default admin username?

everything was up and running on my nexus switch. Today I recovered password with this command

nexus(config)#username admin password 0 NEWPASSWORD role network-admin

and I lost connection to nexus! 

How to recover password then. This switch is up and running! I don’t have to reload the switch!

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you lost the username and password you need to start the recovery password procedure.

when you configure role-based have a look below guide : ( create different users not the user of admin has super rights).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/security/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide_chapter_01001.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes I have second username with the Network-admin and network-operator roles. But after changing the password of the default admin user now I can’t access to the switch with both users.

But I didn’t use command “copy running config startup config” - then it means if I will reload the nexus I can get an access again with the old password, right? 

Current config already effective, if you like old one to use it, you can reload for last good known config will load and you able to access. or any other mode if you can copy startup to current then you able to access again.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card