Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Peer switch command

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears,

as it is mentioned in the below link  that while entering the peer switch command it behaves like one switch by which command i can see the same bridge ID ???? as if now when i can see the show spanning-tree vlan X it shows me core2 as a root and core 1 as a primary, how i can justify to the client how the command is in effect.

This requirement comes from the origin of vPC peer-switch: both peer devices present themselved as a unique STP root device using the same bridge ID.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi , 

Have a look on the below link for better clarification...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/7000-series-routers/116140-config-nexus-peer-00.html

Hope it Helps..

-GI

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Dears,as it is mentioned in the below link  that while entering the peer switch command it behaves like one switch by which command i can see the same bridge ID ???? as if now when i can see the show spanning-tree vlan X it shows me core2 as a root and core 1 as a primary, how i can justify to the client how the command is in effect

Hi,

When you enable peer-switch command in Nexus, each single node nexus will share a virtual bridge ID  which allows both of them to act as root for the vlan.  For devices  with a connection to each N7k in the vPC domain that are not capable of  port-channel, L2 topology will rely on STP to block the redundant  links. 

The peer-switch feature allows for pseudo STP configurations to  allow non-vPC connections to load balance between the two N7k's.

The vPC peer-link will  always be in a forwarding status and it runs Layer 2 Gateway  Interconnection Protocol (L2GIP) to prevent bridging loops.  Each nexus  switch will send BPDUs with root bridge identified by virtual  bridge-ID. 

On vPC links, the designated bridge ID will also have the  virtual bridge-ID.  For non-vPC links, the designated bridge ID will be  the physical bridge-ID of the corresponding Nexus switch.

This allows  for the non-vPC switch (SW-1) to make a root decision based on the BPDU  advertisements instead of depending on port-priority to break the tie.  

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Dear 

The peer-switch feature allows for pseudo STP configurations to  allow non-vPC connections to load balance between the two N7k's

how ??

The vPC peer-link will  always be in a forwarding status and it runs Layer 2 Gateway  Interconnection Protocol (L2GIP) to prevent bridging loops.  Each nexus  switch will send BPDUs with root bridge identified by virtual  bridge-ID.

how i can see the virtual bridge id

Thanks

Hi , 

Have a look on the below link for better clarification...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/7000-series-routers/116140-config-nexus-peer-00.html

Hope it Helps..

-GI

thanks ganesh

very good doc

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card