cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No communication across devices in same native vlan

SyedKhundmir
Level 1
Level 1

I have defined native vlan 10 and 20 across two access switches.Vlan 10 is defined as a native vlan. I connected a hub to one of the access switch and connected two PC's and given IP Add in same subnet as of vlan 10. The two access switches are connected to the L3 switch. Vlan 10 and Vlan 20 SVIs are defined in L3 switch and ip routing is enabled. The PC in vlan 10 connected to the acces switches are communicating but the PC connected to hub is not communicating. What is the issue? Please help. 

17 Replies 17

Yes, or we can use another hub and connect it to the another trunk link configured for vlan20 so that multiple PC's connected to hubs will be in vlan20.

One more question arises here is that, any switchport which is connected to a hub should always be an access port and not a trunk port?

Thank you for your reply.

Hello,

both will work actually, an access port or a trunk with the native vlan set to the same as the access port. I guess it depends on what the requirements are, yours were to use hubs, trunks, and native vlans ? They probably want you to learn about these things...in a real, live environment, an access port would probably be a better option.

Hello

@SyedKhundmir wrote:

I connected a hub to one of the access switch and connected two PC's and given IP Add in same subnet as of vlan 10. 

As the hub is unmanaged then the port on the access switch that is interconnecting with this hub needs to be in an access-port in vlan 10 for hosts in 10.0.0.x
Then add a additional link on the access switch towards the hub for hosts in 20.0.0.x for vlan 20, This also needs to be an access port in vlan 20 , You then should obtain connection for hosts on either vlan.

NOTE-  You dont require any trunk interface on the access switch towards the hub just access ports are sufficient 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card