cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no interface error messages in logs

MurielleBRAZIER
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. We use C2950G switches with IOS 12.1(22)EA12 . Switches are set up to send logs to a server (informationnal level). On this server, we receive many of logs from those switches, but none about interfaces errors (even if interfaces statistics show interfaces errors).

On C3548 switches it's work fine.

How should I be sure the set up of switches is correct ? Why do I never receive messages as %LINK-4-ERROR:[char] is experiencing errors ?

Thanks for your help.

MB

2 Replies 2

hello

i think in 29xx swithes you will receive something similar to following output

Apr 20 21:15:18: %LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/18 is experiencing errors

but you wont be able to get this message for each time the error occurs.. but it send ths message after accumulating few erros.. this  i have experianced once and assumed..not a full proof comment though

regards

Harish

Dont forget to rate all helpful posts!

: %LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/18 is experiencing errors

This means that line errors are incrementing.  Verify by using the command "sh contr e f0/22".  Collisions (left-hand side) should be 0.  Symbols, FCS and CRC (right-hand side) should be 0.

There are several factors you need to look in and check...

I had this same kind of issue before and it was the problem with the switch port configuration.

As per configuration , each switch port is 100mbs speed/full duplex and on the other end the NIC of computers/Network devce might be/are in auto configuration.

1. I might like to know what's connected to the other end, because the interfaces could be receiving malformed frames or something..

2. Try swapping cables between one of the problem ports into a port that you know has no errors. If the problem follows the cable, you may have a problem either on the patch cable, your internal cabling or teh NIC on the host. If the problem doesn't follow, you could have faulty ports on your switch.

Kindly, please rate the Helpfull posts!

Regards,

Srikanth

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card