cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no ip redirects, several question

Brandon Marr
Level 1
Level 1

I've come across this "no ip redirects" command while labbing, this came up while learning how to configure HSRP.  The Cisco page on HSRP speciifies this command as part of their config.  Iv been doing to research on this and I think I have the basic concept down that icmp redirects are when a packet get routed back out the same interface it was received on and tell the end host ot use the better gateway to reach the destination for the packet.  Iv been unable to find answers to the followign questions though.

1. Why have redirects anyway...when the packet hits the gateway and the packet gets redirected back out that same interface why not just send that packet where it belongs instead of telling the host to send it out another gatway?

2. will turning off redirects on all interfaces have any impact on the network, if so what?

3. when and why would it be necessary to turn off redirects?

Thanks

Brandon

15 Replies 15

Because in v2 you need to also configure another active HSRP IP on the other possible better peer routers.  (Which, BTW, is also useful for load balancing static routes.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card