cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No passive interface command

dbuckley77
Level 1
Level 1

I saw this command amongst some OSPF config commands.  

What does it do?

no passive-interface Vlan2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most likely there is default passive interface for all the other interfaces in the same area of OSPF configs.  So,"no passive-interface vlan2" means that the OSPF peering is over vlan 2 with the neighboring router.

more info:

In Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), hello packets are not sent on an interface that is specified as passive. Hence, the device is not able to discover any neighbors, and none of the OSPF neighbors are able to see the device on that network. In effect, this interface appears as a stub network to the OSPF domain. This configuration is useful if you want to import routes associated with a connected network into the OSPF domain without any OSPF activity on that interface.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_pi/configuration/xe-3s/iri-xe-3s-book/iri-default-passive-interface.html#GUID-AE734874-728B-48D8-AC8D-14C74910DB5A

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most likely there is default passive interface for all the other interfaces in the same area of OSPF configs.  So,"no passive-interface vlan2" means that the OSPF peering is over vlan 2 with the neighboring router.

more info:

In Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), hello packets are not sent on an interface that is specified as passive. Hence, the device is not able to discover any neighbors, and none of the OSPF neighbors are able to see the device on that network. In effect, this interface appears as a stub network to the OSPF domain. This configuration is useful if you want to import routes associated with a connected network into the OSPF domain without any OSPF activity on that interface.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_pi/configuration/xe-3s/iri-xe-3s-book/iri-default-passive-interface.html#GUID-AE734874-728B-48D8-AC8D-14C74910DB5A

HTH

chesgreen
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to add the "no passive-interface" command to a device at a remote site in production during a "patch/upgrade" night. Usual patches are done remotely, but I am in fear of loosing connectivity to the device. Would it be safe to enter this command remotely or should i commit it onsite?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card